Grocery Shopping with Newborn

I have a newborn and a preschool aged child. I know you are not supposed to clip the baby car seat on the front of the cart anymore (a child fell off and died). But how are you supposed to manage grocery shopping? I try to wait until my spouse gets home from work, but it is late in the evening and often hard to leave the house to go due to newborn care, bf, getting dinner finished, getting older child ready for bed, etc. Any advice?

I would recommend a Moby wrap or whatever "baby-wearing" device you are comfortable with. I like the Moby wrap best.

Wear the baby. I wore DD in the Bjorn most of the time when she was that small and I couldn't put her in the basket of the cart or had to do more than I could with just a stroller and a hand basket. Newborns are very wearable.

I just put my babies in the snugli.
That was like a baby bjorn to us old school mamas :)
But yes, I would also often shop late at night at the grocery store, all alone, no kids, no crowds, it was worth it! Prepare a dinner in the crock pot, put baby down and daddy can get the older one ready for bed.

Out of the millions of newborn babies in our country who have ever been in the front of a shopping cart in their baby carriers, I'd say one child falling off and dying is not huge odds. You're more likely to be hit by lightning or win the lottery than have your baby fall off a shopping cart and die. I would routinely clip the baby seat into the shopping cart and never once had a problem? If it works for you, do it. Just use common sense about it and once your baby is big enough to sit up, start using the seat part of the cart instead.

I currently have a 3yo and a newborn. I try to get everything done during the week so my weekends are free to spend with hubby and the kids. I wear my newborn in an Ergo carrier which he loves. I just make sure he is fed before we leave the house. He usually sleeps the entire time. My 3yo either walks or rides in one of the carts with the car on the front. She's very well behaved and isn't crazy at the store. There's no way I would put a car seat on top of the grocery cart. It makes me cringe every time I see it.

Put the baby in a sling or Moby wrap! Not only do you not have to worry about the car seat falling off, you don't have to worry about adoring strangers cooing and blowing germs in your baby's face!

Try a baby carrier or sling for the newborn.

Baby carrier or sling - I love the ERGO. :)

I loved using my Moby Wrap! That thing was a blessing. Or you can push a stroller and pull your shopping cart behind you (make sure the cart is still facing forward- it will not work if you try to pull it by the handle!) This sounds complicated, but once you get going with it, it really isn't that difficult to master. My sister in law would do this with her 4 year old and toddler twins if the cart wasn't a double seater. Good luck!

Added: If you need specific advice on how to pull the cart, pm me and I will lay it out step by step. I think it sounds a lot more complicated then it really is.

I always put the baby in a sling.

1 / 3