Grocery Budget Featured This Week - HOW Do You Implement the Suggestions??

This may sound like a silly question, but I was reading last years grocery comparrison that was featured today and wondering how people go about executing some of their suggestions. I have a family of 5, two parents, two three year olds, and a baby(4 months). I spend about $650 per month on groceries and the occasional takeout or eating out which I know is way over what it needs to be. ( I am not including pullups or diapers which I get at BJ's) I usually shop at Kroger as it came out cheapest in my comparisson when we first moved here(except the commissary which I can't seem to get too - military). I was getting pretty good at using coupons until the littlest one arrived this winter, but adding a third child has definately set me back on having time to do it and I really just have to choose one store per week, I can't make it to more than one. I do meal plan and we don't use a ton of processed foods anymore though we could do better there too.

Several people mentioned that Walmart does price matching. Thier standard prices are definately not the best here. How do you go about getting the best price there?? Do they do it at the register?? Do you go to customer service??? I would totally feel comfortable doing that for large items, but doing it every week for groceries seems like it would be intimidating.

How do you organize your coupons? I've tried cutting them, I've tried not cutting them and keeping the flyer (coupon Mom). I just seem to end up with big piles of papers that expire before I can use them. When you add in the printed couponswhich may or may not be accepted, it just becomes a big mess.

As far as being organized, I have a cheapo coupon holder I got at the dollar store. I sit down with the weeks ads and then go through my coupons.
I have heard that they price match at walmart, but I don't go there because we ALWAYS end up spending money of things like matchbox cars, playdough, etc.

Yes, walmart price matches...
Every penny counts right? :-) I am a SAHM of a soon to be family of 6 (5 days over due), a large dog, and a cat... Our TOTAL HOUSEHOLD (everything, diapers, paper products,light bulbs, cleaning stuff, animal food, EVERYTHING) budget is $600.- a month...
Save the fliers on sunday and any fliers you get in the mail... I typically do not page thru fliers in store, but sit down with my morning coffee and look thru the fliers to see what is on sale. I then write down in a notebook
a) what store followed by a list of what products, sizes, and price. (Take the fliers with you to the store to verify if asked)

I do cut coupons but mainly on things we use all the time... Our local Krogers doubles coupons including a dollar BUT if a different local store has a better price, I will go to walmart, tell them the price, throw in the coupon and not have to drive all over town.

They do the price comps at the register, I always seperate the price comps to the back of the belt so I can pay attention to what is happening and not miss anything (that list helps you KNOW what you seperate out). There are some times that i find it better to go to krogers and use their double coupons, and times when the .50 saved for doing that can turn into 5.00 by price comparing walgreens, cvs, and other local stores at walmart...

Just let the cashier know, I have price compares and ignore the harrumping noises some of them make... They are getting PAID to do their job... I price compare EVERYTHING even if its priced at $2.- and the sale price is $1.99... Thats a penny saved off of the bill (and the tax in the end)...

Once you start, its fun ! And to avoid those "extra" things kids get you to pick up... Either learn to say no. lol or avoid that half of the store when kids are with you...

I spend (during the school year), about $300 a month to feed 2 adults and 4 kids (13, 12, 10, 9), and that includes paper goods, shampoo, toothpaste, kitty litter, etc. We almost NEVER go out to eat. I have been working to get my grocery budget perfected for years :) Here is what has worked for me:

1. I don't cut coupons anymore. I tend to buy stuff I don't need, waste time with the cutting process, don't even spend the money on the newspaper anymore, and don't waste ink with printing my own coupons.

2. I plan every single meal we have, one week in advance. So, yesterday, I planned my menu for this week (I don't really have to do much anymore since I have so many plans drawn up I just pick one). Usually there is a "theme" to my menus like Saturdays we always have a crockpot meal and Sundays we always have like roast or baked chicken or a "big meal" like that. For each meal plan, I have the corresponding list of groceries that I need. I buy those groceries and only those groceries.

3. I do 99% of my shopping at Aldi. I think your nearest one is 3 hrs from you but I could be wrong. If you don't have an Aldi then Walmart is probably your next best bet. You are right, Walmart more is tempting to purchase "off list" items because there is SO much to look at.

4. Never take your kids to the grocery store! They are the main source of impulse purchases - also never go shopping hungry (I think we have all done that before and know it's not a good idea).

5. If you like to do all your shopping at one time for the month, check out websites that talk about OAMC (once a month cooking). They have tons of budget friendly receipes and have instructions and support for cooking all of your meals for one month in one day/weekend and freezing them all. The great thing about this is you tend to eat out less since all you have to do each night is pull something out of the freezer.

check out angelfoodministiries.com

Walmart, where I live is definately the cheapest place to shop by far. They do price match. I take the ads from other stores that are advertising things cheaper (make sure to get exact size, quantity, brand, etc as being advertised) and put all those items at the 'end' of the checkout belt. I also circle the items in the ads I have purchase to make it faster and easier for cashier to locate. I tell them I have the items circled and they are advertised cheaper in these ads and I want them price matched. They just do a price override. Many times they do want to keep my sale/ad paper. I have one of those small cardboard coupon organizers (bought at the dollar store) I cut and keep mine in there. Before I go to the store, if I know I have a coupon I am going to use I put it in the front of the section....ie dairy, meat. I also only cut out coupons on the items I normally buy and know I will buy. I have never had a problem with Walmart taking printed coupons. I know Target and Homeland have issues with it, so if I go there I just use the self-check out and use my printed coupons.

I'm not sure if they have this in your area, but at some Giant supermarkets in Maryland they have hand-held scanners. You scan your card when you enter the store and get a scanner (similar to wedding/baby registry).
You shop, scan, and bag as you go along. It is wonderful!

This helps my budget because it has a running tally of my bill. If I go over my budget for the week, I can scan and remove some un-needed items.

I also organize my coupons according to the aisles in the store (cereal, frozen, dairy, etc) and use a receipt holder with pockets. I check them about once a month for expired ones, usually while watching TV.

I also collect extra coupon fliers from my father and mother-in-law.

I always spend more when I don't plan in advance! I think planning is the best way to reduce your grocery budget. Coupons and I don't work well together! ;-)

My mom and grandmother always organized their coupons in a recipe box. Just write the month on the tabs and keep the coupons in there by date of expiration. That way you can just flip to the current month and see what you have available that's about to expire.

1 / 3