Gripe Water...? - Round Rock,TX

I want to try gripe water for my baby, but when do I give it to her? During her meal or while she is having gas pains...either or? the directions only say that she can have it up to 6 times a day and the dosage amounts... I recently changed my own diet to try to help (cut out cow's milk, trying to avoid gassy foods...) but she still has issues once in a while. :)

Gripe water is essentially like alka seltzer for babies. I didn't know about it with my first child, which I had. I would use it for my second whenever she got fussy. Calmed her right down. I don't think I even used gas drops her first year.

I use to give it right before I fed my baby so that it would help with digestion.

I didn't find that gripe water helped. What really worked for me after countless nights of hours of crying is:

1- Hold the baby close and firm to you, her stomach on your chest, stomach, wherever is comfy for you.
2- Hold a pacifier in her mouth, since she will be crying you have to help remind her that she has something in her mouth to pacify her. Just don't suffocate her, obviously.
3- Rock her briskly in a rocking chair

Do all of these steps at the same time. Within 10 mins my daughter would be asleep every time and then I'd just put her in bed. She would sleep and wake feeling better. I know its tough when they are in pain, but try this. Hope it helps.

I gave it to my son as soon as I noticed he had gas issues. Mylicon NEVER worked for him when he was an infant and the gripe water is the only thing that saved us. :)

If it's only a "once in awhile" thing, I'd wait to give it to her when she's actually having issues.

Personally, I never found it to be all that effective. But I also know/knew it wasn't harmful and I know you get to the point where you'll just try anything, lol!

You can put it in her bottle or sippy cups..it works well for hiccups too!

I used to give it to my daugher twice a day in her bottle in the first bottle in the morning and the last one before bed. It really helped her.

For our baby who is 6 months, we are giving her right before she eats her cereal. Also when she is having gas pains. We have the baby bliss, giving her 1ml each times. hope it helps, hang in there..

1 / 3