Great Book Suggestions for 6 Year Old Girl Who Is Learning to Read?

I am hoping to make this summer a summer of reading. Unfortunately, my daughter's book collection seems a bit young for her. Any suggestions for great books for a six year old girl? She is just finishing kindergarten and I am hoping to work with her on reading this summer. I know there are a bunch of great books out there that will inspire her but I'm clueless. Thanks in advance!

www.arbookfind.com Will tell you the level the book is and how many points it will have. I use this as a teacher and it is great. The book RL - means what grade. So you should try .8-1.2 books to start. The 1.2 means 1st grade 2nd month of reading.

You can also pull some books at the library and have her try them there to see if they are interesting to her.

Amelia Bedelia was my favorite book series at that age. It's about a nanny/maid that takes all of her assignment way too literally. It was very funny to me at that age. Read them with her.

I've bought good books at Dollar General. I have a toddler and wanted to get him interested in books/reading. He's not interested in books that much for now, so I'm glad I didn't spend a lot of $$ on books for his age.

Peace,
E.

scholastic is a great source of books at a very resonable price. Books start at $1 and are typically not more than $6. These are the same books that teachers keep in their collection for when students have free reading time. We have great collections of level 1 books all the way through chapter books and series books for my son. I love getting these book orders from my kids teachers bc I love the prices and the titles available. scholastic.com

Hi, I cannot resist telling you about The Magic Tree House series, though they are written for 7-8-9, a 6 yr old is definitely able to listen to them, though not read them on her own yet. The library will have them on CD as well as hard copy so you can read them to her. She'll eat them up. Does your daughter have favorite characters, favorite things, baby animals, insects, other subjects? Perhaps having a library day (and attending story time at your nearest branch library) would help her find interest in the books. Some others that I hope will help are: (and some may be on CD at the library as well) Henry and Mudge series, If You Give a Mouse a Cookie (and others by that author), Winnie the Pooh series, Berenstain Bears, The Boxcar Children (from my childhood, such sweet adventures), Little House on the Prairie, Holly Hobbie has written some books about two pigs who have fun adventures abroad and at home, Curious George, to name a few. Some days she'll want to try herself and other days she won't. But when it finally clicks for her, she'll want to read even the labels at the grocery store. May I suggest a regular reading time during the day, other than at bedtime, when the plan is for you to read to her. She can read if she wants to, but no pressure. With lots of exposure to different topics and adventures, she'll pick it up at her pace. Also, may I suggest, when she writes, let her "sound spell" and encourage her and let her spell things the way she wants to. At her age, this is all she needs to do. Sure hope this helps!

Fancy Nancy books are Super! They are age appropriate for 4-7. The Auther is Jane O'Connor and the Illustrater is Robin Priess Glasser. My five year old daughter and my 3 yr old son truly enjoy these books.
There are many titles to choose from:
Fancy Nancy and the Posh Puppy
Fancy Nancy and the Boy from France
Fancy Nancy Bonjour Butterfly
Fancy Nancy and
Fancy Nancy's Favorite Fancy Words.

Good Luck. Hope she likes them as much as my children.

Fun with Dick and Jane....yes, believe it or not, they make a thick book of Dick, Jane, Spot stories just like the ones we used to learn to read in first grade. These books are ideal for learning to read...have all the elements necessary incuding a story that is simple but interesting to children your daughter's age. I learned to read all by myself when I was 3 years old by listening to my big brother read Dick and Jane repeatedly.

I agree with many here who have posted suggestions to visit your local library. Most have summer reading programs and I still remember this being a highlight of my summer when I was a child! Also, check with your local book stores like Barnes & Noble, Borders and Half Price Books--I know they all offer reading clubs in the summer time (some are geared only for kids in grades 1-5 though).

As an avid reader, I was sad when my daughter did not take to it right away, even saying that she hated reading! I struggled in trying to find the right balance to keep it a regular activity without being pushy. Last summer (after 1st grade) she really developed her love of reading. I let her pick a series and she read every single one last summer--like 35 books! They were in the "Young Cam Jansen" and "Henry & Mudge" series. What I found was that although she could read the "Magic Tree House" series on her own (which we also enjoy), she developed confidence by reading the other series that were a bit easier but she felt a much greater sense of accomplishment. That's what we needed--for her not to struggle through a book but to really read and enjoy the stories.

Definitely find a subject that she likes and find books in that area--your librarian will be able to help you. Let him/her know what kinds of books she is reading now and that will help them. My daughter is very tall (like me) and librarians at first would assume she was in 3rd or 4th grade when she was only in 1st and lead us to books that were too difficult.

One other thing to keep in mind, in my opinion, that just because a child is ABLE to read at a certain level does not mean she SHOULD. I remember kids in my daughter's first grade class last year reading novels that I felt just weren't appropriate subject content for a 6-7 year old. A friend of mine has two very voracious readers but she discovered that her first grade girl read a book last year that dealt with a girl's changing body, Santa, boys and girls dating, etc. My friend was not ready to have those conversations yet with her daughter! And I am probably the dissenter here, but I do not like the Junie B. Jones books. Perhaps it is the writer in me but the grammar is terrible (Junie's "voice") and I also do not think she treats the adults in the books with respect. Perhaps that is what is so appealing to the kids, but I could not get past that--maybe it's just me.... :-)

Oh! One more thing. There are a number of "regular" chapter books that have been made into mini-chapter books (in paperback) like the "Little House on the Prarie" series and even classics like "Black Beauty"-so check for those--they are a great way to introduce your child to some timeless stories without it being overwhelming. We also like any of the animal series books--Animal Ark, Pony Pals, etc. and also Cam Jansen, Arthur.

Good luck and have fun!

I taught kindergarten and to boost her confidence in reading you need to get her books that are predictable in their wording. I'm sure your daughter was working on sight words this year (I, am , is the to for and it) look for books that use those words on each page, one to two lines of story on a page. Books like Brown Bear Brown Bear What do you see by Bill Martin Jr (THere is a whole series that is the same in wording by him) or you can use www.starfall.com it is a wonderful website that has predictable books your child can read and if they get stuck on a word they can click on it and the computer will read the word for them. It has games and videos as well. Very good. Also, just read anything to her. Find books that talk about things she likes and read to her. My daughter will be in kinder next year and loves for me to read the Junie b Jones series to her. Easy chapter books about a little girl who gets into trouble a lot. I've also heard that Barnes and Noble will be having a different story time theme each day. Have fun reading this S.!!!

Summer is a great time to spark interest in reading. The pressure of grades is off and you can cater to her interests when you pick out books. I strongly suggest joining a Summer Reading Program at your nearest library. They offer incentives such as small trinkets and coupons for cool things like ice cream. Also, it's free! Having her own library card will help her feel special, too.

When picking out books, let her choose 1/2 and you choose the other 1/2. Pick out books that she can read with minimal support as well as harder books to read together. Caldecott Award winners are a great place to start for buying books. They are beautifully written and illustrated. I also love Kevin Henkes, Eric Carle, and Marc Brown.

Books on tape/cd are great for quiet time or in the car. Magazines for kids, silly songs, poetry and grocery lists are also excellent ways to incorporate reading into everyday life.

Since reading and writing go hand in hand, have her keep a "Reader's Journal" of her favorite books. She can illustrate her favorite stories or make a puppet of a favorite character.

Most of all, have fun with it. Reading is such an exciting endeavor. Enjoy the adventures!

Sincerely,
J. R

1 / 3