Greasy Gunk Around the Stove

Hey mamas, I'm in deep cleaning mode again. This time I want to get all the grease off the granite countertop and ceramic tile backsplash around my stove. I do alot of stir fry and like to get the pan nice and hot so when I throw the vegies in, the oil tends to splatter all around. So here's my confession: I've lived in this house for 8 years and only wiped these surfaces with soapy water which doesn't remove the caked-on grease. It has become sticky and thick. Does anyone know how to get the gunk off so my counter and backplash are shiny again?

and the winner is: the baking soda and water paste. I sprinkled baking soda on the grease and rubbed it in with a damp sponge. The baking soda seemed to bond with the grease dollops which then wiped right off. The tile and granite are sparkling shiny clean now!

Mr Clean magic eraser. Works miracles!!! I used it to get the greasy gunk off the underside of my microwave which is above the stove top.

OK This is mine! I have the answer so forget everything else! Murphys oil soap! It takes off the grease so easily you wont ever use anything else! Try it ladies! I swear on this! Its the best for greasy grimey stoves! The walls, floors and it smells great too! Get the gunk off !!!!!! Your welcome.=(^.^)=

Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. Enough said.

I used Spic and Span mixed with water in a spray bottle.
Spray it on and let it soak in
Scrub clean with steel wool (well Dollar Store equivalent - the one without the soap in it).

I to am a victim of soapy water and really had to scrub and work at this. But, not that it is clean and pretty again, I maintain with a spray of Spic and Span and a swipe with a sponge after every use.

Ah, but I will try Sheri S.'s Murphey Oil Soap next time I let it go to long.

:P

Several completely non-toxic methods will work (I have to be careful because of chemical sensitivities), and in combination may work even better. I use a promotional "credit card" to scrape off what's loose. Then cover with a past of baking soda/water – hot water often helps, and let it sit for a couple of hours. Another scraping, and a scouring sponge, with or without Bon Ami powder, usually takes off all remaining residue.

You can also try rubbing alcohol for thin deposits, or a wonderful, non-toxic solvent called Citri-Solv. Wear rubber gloves to keep your skin from drying out.

On accident I came across Pine-sol in a spray bottle and thought it was something else. It works great and it even got my hood cleaner then I have ever seen it. It may take a couple of times because it cleans a lot of grease and baked on stuff off and it tends to get yucky really fast. I get the purple kind and it smells great. I use a sponge that has the scraper on one side and the sponge on the other.

Using a blow dryer to heat the gunk up will soften it and make it easier to remove... using below described cleaning methods.

When my niece moved into her present house, the WHOLE kitchen was like that! Counters, floors, cabinet doors, everything! We tried a couple of different things, then finally resorted to the best de-greaser ever-Dawn. Hot soapy water and a scrub brush and rinsed/wiped with plain water afterwards.

1 / 3