Graniite Composite or Stainless Steel Sink/?

we are updating our kitchen and who knew choosing a kitchen sink could be so confusing? I'd love opinions on living with stainless steel vs. a granite composite sink. I have never loved stainless - worry about spotting, scratching and just having it look yucky, so am considering a black granite composite sink. Anyone have thoughts? The other dilemma is the configuration of sink.... 50/50 split, 40/60, or one big undivided "tub". Anyone lived with a 40/60 or full tub and have pros/cons to share? These are things I've never really thought about, so to make a choice is tough. Spending this kind of money, I want to be sure I am happy with what we decide.

Thanks to everyone who responded and gave me more to think about. I've done some additional research and we have decided to go with the Blanco Silgranit II, in the 60/40 configuration. Was able to see one at a local hardware store and talk to someone with a lot of knowledge. I am convinced I am going to LOVE my new granite composite sink.

A lot of people here have warned you about the black sink, but from what I can tell, they don't necessarily have a black sink to compare it to. Yes, a black toilet or black pedestal sink will be spotty, but those are glossy black! The black granite composite sinks have a dull finish and do not show every little thing.

I'm seconding the comments on every little thing showing up on the black. I visited people once that had a black bathtub, sink, toilet and they showed EVERYTHING (soap scum even). So, be careful in the color....

My mother recently put in a black sink and hates is. It is always water spotted and if you have a lot of calcium in the water it will show even worse in a dark sink. I have always had white sinks but since moving here we have an existing stainless sink and when I redo my kitchen I will put in stainless again. I have always liked 40/60 or 50/50, I hate one big sink. 40/60 is my favorite because you can fit bigger pans on the 60 side.

We have the black composite granite and we love it. The finish is not glossy so water spots don't show. It's easy to care for and looks great all the time. I don't even think about it much. I wish the chrome faucet would stay looking as nice - it has water spots and need constant cleanup. We have two teens who don't treat it with kid gloves but it has never chipped and looks as good as the day we put it in. We've had it for about three years. Good luck with your choice.

I grew up with an undivided tub, and I have always missed it since living on my own. We used a dish pan in the sink to wash, and then rinsed in the remaining area of the sink. It was great for washing poultry, specifically turkey, rinsing and draining spinach, and fantastic for polishing silver because the polish didn't get all over the place.

So, when I have a chance, I'll get an undivided sink in my own home.

Have you considered enamel on steel? This kind of sink performs great for decades, without looking ugly.

I went with a single full tub and LOVE it. I wouldn't for one minute change it to a divided sink.

I had a stainless in my first home, and decided I wanted a white ceramic in our new home. While we rented during the building process, the rental unit had a white ceramic. Boy am I glad! I HATED it. It showed every gross little thing that was not washed away immediately! And my spouse is not the best about rinsing things before leaving them sitting in the sink... Ewwwwwwwww.

I opted for a stainless in our new construction, and am SO glad I did. I thought I didn't like it when it was all I'd ever had, but now I know better.
Be sure to go with undermounting, whatever you decide on for the material.
If you have ever have ever had to scrub the turkey roaster after Thanksgiving or Xmas meals... you will be SOOOOO glad you have a full single tub!
My mom went with a 50/50 because she figured that she could keep one side clean for "use" (washing veggies, etc)... and the other side for dirty (for my dad to set his dirty dishes, etc)... but it just aggravates her.. because she expects one side to be clean and HE has no compunction about rinsing goop off into the "clean" side or setting his dishes in whichever side has the fewest items in it. lol
I can wash all kinds of things in my sink and never worry about banging them against the sides (tall glass flower vases? no problem. Long handled frying pans? not a problem in the least. Need to set a casserole flat to soak for awhile? Plenty of space and no need to turn it halfway through so the "other side" can soak..).

I just use comet or vinegar or bleach, or whatever to clean it.

Keep in mind that with a black sink every little food particle, speck, water spot, whatever will show up.

An ajax like product called Bar Keeper is an excellant stainless steel cleaner. I like mine.

1 / 3