Good Way to Clean White Gold Diamond Ring

what is a good way to clean a white gold diamond ring, besides jewelry cleaner? i ran out and want to clean my ring.

thanks!

I put mine in a bowl of warm soap water. (I use seventh generation dish soap. Don't use anything hard like dawn, or things like that.) I soak it a bit, then gently brush with a very soft toothbrush.

I just use a little of Clinique's eye makeup remover (the blue/green bottle) in a cup and let it sit for a few minutes then use an extra toothbrush to gently brush the gunk off. This also works well with windex. I would also like to agree that anything abrasive like baking soda or toothpaste would be too rough for the gold. Good luck ! ;)

I never use a jewelery cleaner. I bought a cheap soft toothbrush and use toothpaste with some water and scrub it. The toothbrush gets in all those little spots and it will come out amazingly sparkly and clean. ;)

My brother is a longtime jeweler and I know what he recommends for cleaning and what he says to avoid.

He would say never use any type of soaps, not even mild dish soaps (they leave a film no matter how clean the ring looks) or baking soda (it can be abrasive even though it seems to dissolve) and I most definitely would never use toothpaste! Even though diamond is, well, diamond-hard, over time the gold will scratch and wear if you consistently use toothpaste on it, even supposedly non-abrasive toothpaste! Use the water and ammonia mix someone recommended, or Windex, which is ammonia-based. If you do water and ammonia, use very hot water. To the ladies using toothpaste on their rings I'd say, ask a jeweler -- they'll tell you, it may look fine and shiny right now, but over the years you're abrading it and creating microscopic scratches that will add up.

Always remove your rings whenever you bathe, wash your hair, or wash your face and also at night when you go to bed. A lot of women don't like to remove their rings at bedtime, but if you're wearing them for your whole life -- which let's assume we are with our wedding and engagement rings -- they really do show wear over the years just from rubbing on sheets etc. It's not wear you can see for a long time, but it is occurring, and my brother, who made my rings, always fusses at me to take off my rings at night. I figure he ought to know!

By the way, the home ammonia treatment is NOT for stones other than diamonds. Anyone with mixed stones should talk to a professional and buy the right jewelry cleaner. The wrong cleaning can badly damage stones, especially emeralds and opals, which are soft.

I usually just drop into a jeweler (any jeweler) and ask if they would clean it for me. No one has turned me away. Short of that, a very soft toothbrush and a drop of mild dishsoap.

When I worked in a jewlery store the cleaner is ammonia based but you can make some at home.

Clean diamonds and colored gems by making a solution of one part water and one part ammonia. Soak your jewelry in the solution for 30 minutes. Rinse with cool water and place on a towel to dry.

I agree with Diana P. I save the freebie toothbrushes from our dentist for this very purpose. I get a small bowl and fill it with a small amount of hand soap and warm water. Then I gently scrub with the freebie toothbrush and rinse under the faucet - making sure I have the drain closed.

Toothbrush and toothpaste/ or baking soda.

I used Windex. It worked great!

I clean mine with a toothbrush and toothpaste. It really does work.

1 / 3