Good Start Formula vs Similac vs Nutramigen

I have been breastfeeding my daughter pretty much exclusively until about 6 weeks old when I started supplementing more with formula. I had tried the Similac Advanced early on b/c it claimed to be more like breastmilk. But I had to eliminate dairy in my diet b/c it caused her lots of gas and colic. Since then we have gotten some prescription colic meds and have been using mylicon a lot and its better. I eventually switched to Nutramigen. It is so expensive and since I am doing half breastmilk half formula bottles for when I go to work, I would like something less expensive. I was thinking about going to a soy formula, but have been reading here that many moms like the Good Start. Also Good Start has been sending me coupons galore...so I am hoping she will like it. I am going to buy one more can of Nutramigen and a can of Good Start. Let me know how you have handled going from Nutramigen to another formula...or just your experience with formulas and milk sensitive babies.

Well we had to go back to Nutramigen, but luckily a girl I work with is on WIC and her son is almost a year and is no longer taking Nutramigen, so she had like 40 cans of concentrate at her house. She gave them to me and we are gonna see how that works for now. Thanks for everyone's information. Similac sent me some coupons with this recent recall and I may try the Alimentum.

My baby had such bad gas and colic we put her on enfamil for gas and fussiness. She has done much better on and if you go on their website will send you tons of coupons. Also my doctor said if you eliminate the mylicon they seem to do better. We did and she is much better or grew out of it.

My son also had bad colic, here's what I learned. If you are going to switch formulas, please check with your pediatrician first especially since you are breastfeeding and she is on colic meds. My son was colicky and certain formulas can cause havoc on the tummy even though they say they are gentle or hypoallergenic. See if your doctor can give you free samples.

Just my 2 cents,

please watch the news, I just heard that simalac was reaclled due to insect parts. My DD was colicy and we went from emfamil (yellow can) to the Gental ease (purple can) to soy (blue can) and only using the mylocon drops she was a bit better. We thought about going to nutramigen but gave the soy enough time (aleast 2-3 weeks) to help and we stuck with it. When I switched to milk at a year I make the bottle with whole milk,6oz with 2oz or milk. I upped the milk by 2oz every week until she had all milk and it worked well. I always error on the side of causion so I don't know if you have to switch to milk so slow but I would do it like that again if I get the chance. My DD is 2 1/2 and enfamil didn't have the gold formula which I think is called premium but I for sure would have used that. If you call Enfamil and tell them you want to use gental ease or soy they will send those coupons and a couple of free cans. Good luck!!

My daughters both had Good Start from the beginning, and neither ever had any tummy troubles at all. They also liked the taste of it, and I didn't think it smelled as weird as the other formulas. They are now both happy, healthy, intelligent little girls.

When my cousin's little girl needed nutramigen for reflux/colic she was able to get a prescription from her pediatrician and her insurance covered it. If your daughter has colic and gas that was bad enough that you had to eliminate dairy from your diet then Good Start probably won't be that good for her because it does contain dairy. And you should discuss any formula changes with your ped.

Due to medical problems I was unable to breastfeed both my girls more than a month. They both had issues with reflux (were on meds to help with it). We tried every type of formula for my oldest and had the best success with Good Start. She had the easiest time tolerating it. When my second was born we tried Similac at first, but she was literally vomiting after every feeding, we switched to Good Start and never looked back.

My dd is mspa(milk soy protien allergic). We did the breastmilk, I had tocut the dairy out (still do). We used enfamil prosobee (leaving hospital) switched to target brand soy still didn't get better with colic, gas,constipation, Stomach bloating, painful burps. With both formulas. We then were put on aliementum similac. We have a whole new baby! Burps are easy, stomach bloating gone, gas and colic have become none existant. Her baby acne, which was getting worse is completly gone. She now sleeps 5 hours at a time at night eats 3 1/2 -4 oz and back to bed. We also have to put rice in her bottles due to he vomiting everything she ate every feeding. So she has had a cereal bottle since she was 1 month old at bed time. We also use too the gas drops in each bottle and after each feeding we were trying everything. Anywho- alimentum is pricey but worth the comfort she gets. We also are lucky to get coupons and the dr gives us samples when we do our well visits. We are very pleased with it. We have never tried the good start it gave my son diareah so bad it burnt his bottom with blisters. Ps dd is 10 weeks old. Hope this helps.

I breast fed and supplemented with Good Start. This worked very well, but we didn't try the others. They do pretty regularly give you coupons. Good luck!

1 / 3