http://www.ewg.org/ is a wonderful place to learn about all sorts of environmental issues.
It is fairly easy to remove almost all plastic from the kitchen. I have been cooking and reheating foods in only metals (stovetop) or glass (microwave and refrigeration) for 20 years. Avoid non-stick coatings (teflon), which gives off seriously toxic fumes if overheated. Stainless steel water bottles can be found pretty easily, and help avoid the heaps of water bottles that end up in landfills.
You can find sturdy, break-resistant glassware for toddlers to drink from at http://www.montessoriservices.com/store/index.php?main_pa..., or even at your local thrift store. And of course glass baby bottles are still available.