Good Magazine Subscription for a 6 Year Old

Hi fellow mamas. I have a six year old that I would like to get a magazine subscription for. Can anyone recommend anything that they think is good?

Wow, what a great response I got. So I decided on National Geographic. I checked out most of them and really made my choice by randomly picking one of the ones I liked best. Thanks a million fabulous mothers.

Highlights!!!! My daughter loves it!!! She too is six. My three year old now receives Highlights for her age bracket too. I loved it when I was a kid and I'm 37 so for it to be around and still be cool is a wonderful thing!

My daughter really enjoys Highlights Magazine and has for a few years now. Her grandmother renews her subscription every Christmas. It has puzzles, riddles and stories. She is thrilled when she opens the mailbox and sees a new Highlights. You can go to www.highlights.com for info.

My daughter really enjoyed High 5 magazine - now she receives Highlights and does not like it as much. If he is a good reader, he might like Highlights, but High 5 is really fun and cute - lots of do-able activities and cute games.

My daughter's 3, and she gets the "Big Backyard" and loves it! It's all about nature and has lots of activities to do. I think the older one (more appropriate for your son) would be Ranger Rick. We really love it!

Hello J.. I always loved Ranger Rick. I got the subscription when I was young, and now my almost 13 year old son gets it. He has been getting it since he was about 6, and this is his last year, as he is too old for it now, but I always loved it!! Highlights is another good one. If he is into sports, then Sports Illustrated for kids is another good one.

Nick Jr. magazine is good. My 5 yr old daughter loves it.

Hi
My son loves "the big backyard" and "ranger rick"

My son loves his National Geographic Kids. Not only the magazine, but he loves getting something in the mail!

We love National Geographic For Kids.

Our 6-year-old son loves National Geographic for Kids. Very neat magazine!

When my kids were very young we did Highlights for Kids, and My Big Backyard. That one later changed to Ranger Rick as they got a bit too old for My Big Back Yard, but I love the magazines, great photos of animals, fun activities and the kids read them over and over.

Highlights Magazine! I had it as a kid and my 6 year old daughter loves it!

Highlights! I loved that subscription when I was a kid. Easy reading, picture matching, and puzzles.

My kids love nature magazines - My Big Backyard, Ranger Rick, National Geographic Kids. For little kids, Animal Babies is good - it's board books. For older kids, Girls Life and Boys Life are great.

My son loved both ZooBooks and Highlights!

National Geographic has a great kids magazine in addition to the others mentioned below.

My daughter is 6 years old and receives a magazine from her Grandma called "My Big Backyard." It's very nature/animal oriented, filled with facts, stories, activities, etc. and my daughter loves. I also know she is going to receive a subscription to National Geographic for Xmas which I guess puts out a young kids magazine as well so you could check that out, too. There's always the traditional "Highlights" magazine (remember that growing up?) which is an oldie but a goodie :)

I would check out some of the magazines at Cricketmag.com. They have a huge selection of magazines for all age brackets. For kids that are 6 there is Spider (stories and puzzles), Appleseeds (teaches about different countries and cultures), and Ask (science and arts).

Check out Cricket (http://www.cobblestonepub.com/magazines.html)and National Wildlife Federation (http://www.nwf.org/magazines/). Both put out magazines for children at several interest and readability levels. And, of course, there's always highlights (http://www.highlights.com/jump.jsp?itemType=CATEGORY&....

If your son is into sports and a more advanced reader, he might like sports illustrated for kids. http://www.sikids.com/

Time makes a kids magazine too, but I think it's only available for classrooms.

Highlights is great, so is a magazine about pets/animals called Your Big Backyard - google that and it shows up on Amazon that you can order from.

I loved Highlights back when I was that age (and if truth be told) I still grab it at the doctor's office sometimes to read!! :)

Puzzle Buzz and Highlights are great. My daughter loves the puzzles. National Geographic has a great magazine for kids too.

they have a "highlights" magazine for young kids...i believe it's called "highlights 5+" or something similar. it's for children ages 5 & up...

"Highlights" for his age group. Also, if he writes a poem or story in school that is cute, you can send it in and it may be published! :-)

Also, my son loved comic books at that age!

If you have friends with a yearly pass to the SD Zoo they should be able to get a subsciption to the childrens magazine Sydney's Koala Club. Or Highlights for children makes magazines for different age groups (I always enjoyed Highlights as a kid!) What a creative idea as a gift for a kid - I'll keep that one in mind, and they're usually cheaper than you would pay for a birthday/Christmas present!

Have you tried Cricket or Highlights?

Highlights for Children is wonderful.

Wild Animal Baby and Your Big Backyard. Both through the National Wildlife Federation.org

Highlights. My daughter who is 6 has been getting it for years - she's just now really starting to enjoy it. I didn't know about National Geographic for kids - that sounds great too!

My two little ones (4 and 6) really enjoy Highlights for Kids.

National Geographic Kids is awesome, even for me! But my sons all love Lego Magazine as well. It gives them ideas of what they can build with all the thousands of pieces we have. It is kind of like double duty. They are busy reading the magazine, then they are busy making new things with Legos!

Highlights is a great educational and fun magazine for kids.

National Geographic KIDS is great. I've taught all grades of elementary age students and every month I've had to make it a behavior reward regarding who gets to read it first! Cricket published by the Smithsonian is also wonderful.

Ranger Rick, National Geographic and Nick Jr. Also, at the pet store you can find specific magazines to fit your pet at home. We have a Golden Retriever and there is a magazine especially for my breed of dog. It's fun to learn about your own pet!!

National Geographic for kids. It's awesome. Even if the youngster can't read all of it, it's great practice and the pictures are a world unto themselves.

Great idea!

The National Geographic Kids and Nickalodian (I may have spelled that wrong) are both good magazines. If your son likes pokemon and naruto on tv you might want to look into Shonen Jump which is a manga magazine. I'm not sure what the reading level is, but it's similar to a comic book and has those and other stories in it. A great way to check out magazines for kids is to go to your local book store and check out the Family section of their magazine rack. Hope this helps.

The National Wildlife FOundation has a great magazine, that I had as a child and LOVED:
http://www.nwf.org/

Highlights: http://www.highlights.com/shopping/product/detail2main.js...

Cricket: http://www.cricketmag.com/pages_content.asp?page_id=906&a...

National Geographic Kids magazine:
http://kids.nationalgeographic.com/

I had all of these as a young child and when older. I really absolutely LOVED them... and it was one of my fondest memories of growing up and receiving them in the mail.

I also loved the Burpee catalogs... and would love looking at them as a young child with my parents and choosing what plant seeds I wanted to grow. www.burpee.com

Susan

Our boys, now 8 and 9, love the Lego Magazine. They are really into Lego's though.

If you enroll your son in cub scouts he will love it . It also comes with Boy's life. My son loves it. It is full of camping ideas, crafts, boys write part of the mag so it is really fun... Pluss lots of crafts, jokes and games. Hope it helps Krissy

P.S. hee is a like for the mag if you might just want to do it...http://boyslife.org/

Other than the Highlights magazine he really enjoys Nick Jr. I was thinking he was going to grow out of it this year but there are so many games, puzzles and Nick theme related things like Wonder Pets, Backyardigans, Dora and Diego that he still loves the mag.
P.

Zoobooks is GREAT!

Discovery Kids is a good one and my 6 year old son loves the Lego magazine.

My kids love National Geographic for Kids and Highlights.

Ranger Rick is good. National Geographic Kids (great pictures and good jokes, too). Highlights.

Highlights for sure! And if he's into animals - Ranger Rick

you can get Highlights or Nick Jr. those two are really popular

why not start a comic book collection for him, they have tons of great comic books , if you decide to start this, buy two of the books everytime, one for him to use one to save, I tell you if you keep the books in excellent condition you will have his college money saved. Good luck