Good Foods After Tonsil and Adenoid Removal

Let's try a more tame topic, since my last request never got any responses!!!

My daughter goes into surgery to have her adenoids and tonsils removed and her nasal turbinates surgically shrunk tomorrow morning (2/26/09). I understand this is a very routine procedure, but each child responds differently.

My question is, for those of you moms who have gone through this with your little ones, what kinds of foods (other than popsicles and ice cream!) did your kids do well with post-surgery. I've been told she can't have citrus or carbonated beverages for 2 weeks and no red dye for two days after the procedure. Any other helpful hints???

Jello, mashed potatoes, and any other really soft foods like that. She also may not like anything warm as it may irritate her. Also do not feed ice cream, give her sherbet, the milk in ice cream produces flem that will irritate her throat. I wish her a speedy recovery!

My son had this done in November, and the day he came home he ate teriyaki (sp?)chicken from Pei Wei, I think whatever they will eat is great. Hope all goes well.

My daughter had this done this past October, she was 4. She ate popsicles, lots of them, orange sherbert and drank 7-Up/Sprite. I know you were looking for other foods, but this is all she ate, if she ate at all. She at a lot the first day when we got home, then her eating really tapered down and she didn't eat much over the next few days.

Good luck! She'll do great....let her eat whatever she wants...as long as she's eating :)

My dauhgter will be doing tonsil surgery soon so I am excited to see your responses on this.
I would suggest mybe getting those gogarts in a sleeve and frreze them so there like popsicles. Apple sauce, Bannana smushed, Chicken both or soup. Fruit smoothies from real fruit get some strawberries, blueberrie, raseberries, and strawberry yogurt and blend it. Put some ice before blending so its really cold ad some water or grape juice to it. Theres all kinds of stuff put you maginacian in with nutrician. You can make flavored Ice so she doesn't get all the sweet make them yourself in cups and use real fruit. Good luck please keep me posted because I will be in the same boat in march or after. Thanks

I have had this procedure twice. I was little myself back then. So this is what I remember: After surgery you feel like you have a really bad sore throat. It hurts to talk, it hurts to swallow. I remember eating soups (not too hot). But the wound heals up pretty fast.
Also, I am sure doctors will give you a list of "what to do and not to do".

I had mine out when I was 18...rough experience. Worse than childbirth...but it isn't as bad for the little people. you have gotten some great ideas already, I also remember eating baby food fruits. Good luck!

Your best bet is to talk to the doctor. My oldest daughter was 4 when they took out her tonsils and adnoids and put tubes in her ears. I had enough ice cream, popsicles and Jello in the fridge I could have supplied 20 to 30 kids! Alot of it ended up being thrown out. Her doctor told me that if she wanted something, let her try to eat it. The main thing is Liquids. She ate Kentucky fried chicken for dinner that night. My youngest daughter was only 3 months old when they put tubes in her ears. I gave her stage 1 babyfoods and formula plus clear juices. The main thing is you don't want them crying, screaming, yelling and getting dehydrated.

Talk to the doctor, they can give you better information and more ideas.

My son just had his removed on 2/24/09 and the same day he ate rice. He chewed it up really well. The next day he ate mac and cheese and a donut and mashed potatoes. We tried chicken noodle soup didnt work. It burned his throat. Becareful of the pain medicene backing up the bowels we just spent 3hrs at the ER. He had to have an enema and drink some really gross stuff.. Good luck and you will be in my prayers.

My three year old just had this done in October. All kids are so different, my son had his done when he was two and wouldnt eat or drink a thing. But my daughter was more of a trooper. We did scrambled eggs, pudding, yogurt. The most important thing is keeping her hydrated. So pick out some of her favorite things to drink. Peach, white grape juice is not citrusy, chocolate milk, those sorts of things. What I did for my daughter and not my son (ive learned a lot), is I went to the dollar store and picked her out some cheap gifts. I wrapped them, and when she would refuse her medicine, or get more upset, we would haul out a wrapped gift and yes we would bribe her. It kept our long boring weekend exciting too. Watching the Dora and Barbie movies I had rented for her over and over was getting to be a little old.
Good Luck. Your daughter will be like a new person after she is well.

1 / 3