Good First Pet for 3 Year Old

My son really wants a pet. Obviously we will be the ones taking care of it.
So, I was wondering what would be a good first pet, and preferably low maintence.
I would also like something safe that doesn't carry diseases or salmonella,
like turtles. We already have a dog, we were just thinking something small that
he can keep in his room. Thanks!!

I agree with beta fish. We got one for my son when he was 2, and he LOVES it. He's always so concerned about Pete the Fish. Betas are very hearty fish, and much less likely to die quickly than most goldfish. They are also GORGEOUS and easy to care for.

I agree with the fish. However, be careful with having it in his room.

We bought my son a guppy at about the same age and put it in his room. One time I walked in his room and found some of his small toys in the tank. He said he thought the fish needed toys to play with! LOL!

A three-year-old with a pet? Really, you're talking about getting a family pet. I would suggest a goldfish in a little glass bowl. Easy to care for and little upkeep or requirement for attention.

Turtles live FOREVER! My best friend's parents bought him one when he was two and the thing is still around 29 years later! Herman is low-maintenance, but long-living.

My son has a beta fish. Super easy to take care of! We had a turtle at first and constantly had to clean out the tank. My son thought it was gross so we donated it to a local pet store.

If he is going to be taking care of it himself, I agree with fish. Anything else is going to require more maintenence from you. After all, you're already going to need to monitor feedings, so the fish isn't overfed & have to do most of the fish bowl cleaning. My daughter got her fish when she was 2. Learned quickly that the fish food must be kept out of reach! And while she did "help" cleaning the fish bowl, I did most of the work. Still, feeding & occasional cleaning of a fish bowl is about as low maintenence as you're gonna get. Unless, of course, you get him a pet rock ;) lol

I would stay away from rodents. I grew up with hamsters, guinea pigs, and rats, and I LOVE rodents as pets, but not to be kept in your room. They are nocturnal, and running on their wheels, drinking, eating, and digging at night will keep your son up. I think a fish is a great idea. We've had betas and guppies, and of the two, I would go with a beta. I've never had a gold fish, so I don't know how that works. Take him with you and let him pick it out and he'll be excited! Good luck.

My son has a beta and he considers it his pet just as much as our dog, who sadly passed away this weekend. They are low maintenance, easy to care for, and even though I hate fish, I do think the betas are really pretty. It's a good start. Not much investment, easy to replace (heaven forbid it's necessary! - lol), and they are nice and peaceful to watch.

i'd do a hamster! my daughter was 2 and 3 with her first hamster and did very well, taught her to feed and water and once a month helped ME clean the cage did very well, til mommy didn't close her cage good one night, she got out and I found her in the mouse trap a few days later. thank god she didn't find her there! i told her scrump got out and if i know her well enough she found a nice home she's happy at...she don't even remember scrump now (now 8) i mentioned her the other day and my daughter said...who?

1 / 3