Good Elementary School?

Hi Mamas ~

I am looking for a good elementary school. We live in NE Portland, but I'd be willing to drive for the right school. We are hoping to find small class sizes (I know, that's a tough one!) lots of individual attention and good academics. We also need a school with "aftercare".

I'm getting a lot of feedback about Opal School (charter), Tucker Maxon School (semi-private) and Sunnyside Environmental (public). Any feedback on those three?

Getting some good info, but would like more. If you know of a great school, what makes it great?

Is there something wrong with the school in your neighborhood? Maybe you're looking for a private school? Not sure. The best way to get to know what a school is like is to visit it. I'm a teacher and I'm passionate about public education and neighborhood schools. The local community is what makes a school great. Any principal is happy to welcome you in for a visit to the school. The only way you can tell for sure is to visit. Testing data DOES NOT tell the story of the teachers or the wonderful children that fill the building.

Are you looking for public or private? Since you are asking about small class size, I get the sense you are looking for private. I have been doing a lot of research which includes visiting schools and speaking to faculty and parents. Here is my personal short-list of Portland private schools. All have small class sizes (some of these are under 12:1 ratio for lower school and even less for preK and K). Of course, you will need to visit each to see which fits best with your family and your child as the curriculum, culture and language program of each differs. I listed them in order of which are closer to NE side
The International School (TIS) www.intlschool.org
Oregon Episcopal School (OES) www.oes.edu
Catlin Gabel www.catlin.edu
French American International School (FAIS) www.faispdx.org
German American School www.gspdx.com

I am sure there are other great programs and I have not yet researched public Charter School options. Hope this helps. :)

Chapman Elemetary it is in NW over the bridge

My son is in 2nd grade at Laurelhurst Elementary. We love it there. I've also heard Beverly Cleary (formerly Hollyrood) is a good school. Both are in NE. I would recommend that you go to the kindergarten round ups that will be happening very soon so you can check out the schools. There are definite advantages to going to your neighborhood school...I love that we can walk to school and my son has friends in the neighborhood. Good luck!

My kids go to Opal at the Portland Children's Museum. I found out about it last year. You have to apply to the lottery now for a chance to get in. Otherwise, I'm not sure. I know there is a Charter in North Portland.

1 / 3