Good Deeds for the Holidays

I would really like some suggestions as to charity, deeds of kindness that I can involve my children in this holiday season. They are very young, but I want them to know off the bat that Christmas is about giving more than receiving. Any input will be helpful. No idea is too small.

Thanks,
A.

Thank you everyone for your responses! We live in a small town where we don't often see poverty face to face. My heart was so touched by those of you who help the homeless with blankets and gift certificates and so on! This year we are going to send a postcard to the troops, bring money for the bell ringers, pick a toy for toys for tots, and donate a whole box of used toys to St. Vinny's. We also have gathered some bags of food for the food pantry. It is such a blessing to see that there are Moms out there who are teaching the next generation the true spirit of Christmas! Thanks again! God Bless and Merry Christmas!

My sister adopted a family and asked the nieces and nephews(7-9 yrs old) If they would be willing to give up one of their gifts so she could buy for this other family. I think it's through the salvation Army. They will go with her to deliver the gifts prior to Christmas.

My lids and I make cookies, bread and pick up stockens and fill them with little candys, nail stuff, hair brushes, cross word books ect and take them to the old folks home. There are a few residents that dont have any familey so it really makes them happy to see us. My kids think it is the best because to them its just like having more grandparents to love on them. We also collect for the food bank and help put the packages together. We do this all year around. Just acouple ideas hope it helps.

Have them help with Meals on Wheels. This gives the kids a chance to meet some older people and they really enjoy seeing the little ones. Happy Holidays.

what we did one year is made up bags with tooth brushes tooth paste comb and brush maybe some cookies soap and under arm stuff then took them down to a shelter they were a big hit this year we are taking some gifts down to the vfw children home ,i to think it inportint to show love and good will maybe pick up a dozen blankets walgreen had them 3 for 10 pr 2 fpr 10 and pass them out to the homeless there are lts of ways to help

Wow A.,
Here's to you. I dont know what your local area is like or even how into the charity thing you want to go. Good Samartin's has a adopt a family for Christmas program or if you have a local shelter you can alway volunteer there. If nothing else there is alway the toys-for-tots program. Good luck and Merry Christmas.

There has been many great suggestions. My family and I go to the local nursing home and sing Christmas carols. That might be an option, and you can see the light in their elders eyes. I would call around to your local homes there and see if that is an option. Good Luck with your selection and thank you for thinking of others this Holiday Season. J.

We just took our kids to buy presents that we're going to donate. We let each kid buy one present between $10.00 and $15.00 for a boy/girl their same age. They had fun doing it and really like the idea of giving to a kid that doesn't get many presents. They picked presents that they would like to have personally.

Your kids are the perfect age to start teaching them these kinds of things!! We give money to the Salvation Army bell ringers whenever we see them...can't be much since they are everywhere, but it adds up. Every Christmas we also make christmas treats for our neighbors and then have fun delivering them. Someone told me once that they buy a few $10 giftcards to local diners and if they see a homeless person, they give them the gift card for a warm meal instead of money. If you belong to a church, there are usually elderly shut-ins that can't get out much. They always love visits and you could take them a poinsetta or bread, etc. Have fun spreading cheer!!

I volunteer to ring the bell for the salvation army with my daughter. She's only 8 months old but I hope it will become a yearly tradition for us and I think people tend to donate more when they see a baby or young child there :-). We have a couple of the kettles in our mall so I don't have to worry about standing outside in the cold with her. She even gets excited now when she hears the bell ringing.
I also like to participate in the "angel tree". It is where you pick a tag off a tree with a specific child or person requesting a gift, go buy it and then return it. It doesn't have to cost much but gets them used to the idea that christmas is about giving, not just receiving.
Lastly, I think baking cookies for an elderly neighbor, or anyone who may appreciate it is fun & easy.

I second what Jennifer said. Usually I let my kids pick a name off the local Angel Tree and put money in the Salvation Army buckets. This year we're helping my local Moms Club provide Christmas to a dying mother and her childen. I let my kids pick out the gifts we are donating while explaining that some family are less fortunate than we are and it's always nice to help others. I don't know how much they really understand but I think if it's a tradition you follow-through with each year, then they'll eventually get the idea.

And check out letssaythanks.com You can send a postcard to a serviceman/woman for free. Your kids can pick out the card and say whatever they want.

1 / 3