Good Books on "Potty Training" Which Helped YOU

Hi all!
I think that my 2 yr old daughter is ready to be potty trained, but I do not know where to start. I am kind of skeptical about potty training in 1 day or so. DO you know or have your read any practical books on potty training that actually helped you to teach your child to use the potty when needed? Please let me know. I really appreciate it.

I was very happy with http://www.3daypottytraining.com/ and actually took the advice in the book and spent 4 days training my daughter. I don't have any other children and my husband went away for the weekend so it worked out great. She was 27 months went I trained her and I never put a pullup on her.

I bought this book for my daughter the week before potty training and we still read it.

The Potty Book - For Girls by Alyssa Satin Capucilli

http://www.amazon.com/Potty-Book-Alyssa-Satin-Capucilli/d...

It's Potty Time For Girls by Smart Kids Publishing illustrated by Chris Sharp and Gary Currant (no authors listed) features a girl on the toilet (not a potty chair), and has a flushing toilet sound button.

If you are not averse to videos, both Go Potty Go and Potty Power have not-so-annoying songs about potty time and washing hands. My daughter likes to watch them over and over (I think she'd watch them end over end if there were no TV limit!). My girl's used the potty a few times, but nothing like on a regular basis. She's 2 and a half.

Not only is there the book "Once Upon A Potty" but there is also a video/dvd (one for boys and one for girls). I have a daycare and when the children are looking ready for potty training I go to the library and check out the video/dvd. I own both books so the children will also look at them and I ready them to the kids as well. The nice thing about the video/dvd is that there is a Potty Song that the kids pick up on and we sing it while sitting on the potty. There is also a Parent's Guide at the end of the video/dvd.

I read a couple of books, none of which I found helpful at all!! The best advice I can give is this. When your daughter is ready it will only take a couple of days to potty train her. Take off her diaper and let her go bottomless. Set her on the potty every 30 min or so. Give her LOTS to drink!! This will make her peepee lots. Don't get upset, just tell her not to peepee on mommy's floor and to peepee in her big girl potty. Make it fun! We always do a peepee dance after we actually go and I always praised even when we tried. We also called daddy to get some praise or grandma or whoever was avaiable. I didn't offer any treats or rewards I know some people do. My sister-in-law gives skittles and her daughter will go "try" just to get a skittle. They are still working on the whole potty training thing and my son doesn't have any accidents even in town now.

If she doesn't show signs of actually potty training then just put away her potty chair and try again in a month or two.

I second the recommendation for "Once Upon A Potty" - it was a hit with both my girls (younger daughter with Down syndrome trained pretty much on time even though teachers had discouraged us from expecting her to), and a song from a video called "Baby Songs": 'Today I took my diapers off.'

My kids are older now, but we can all still sing that song! I found that music helped my girls learn in many areas of life.

I remember those days very well. Two books I recommend that really helped:
"Everyone Poops", author??, available at local book store. And
"The Potty Train", available at www.DiscoveryToysLink.com/CarolValdon

My pediatrician said that it's all about letting the child have control. I hope that helps.

I did the potty train in a day which worked for me, however, I did not have the expectation that it was going to happen in one day. But I used the technique as a way to introduce potty training to my children.

In addition, I bought books for my sons. They have them out there related to girls as well. And during the potty training process that is all we read at night time. They wanted to read the books each night, asked questions and the books encouraged them to want to go on the potty.

My eldest son was potty trained at 3, my youngest was fully potty trained by 2 1/2.

I didn't read any books on it, got lots of advice instead. I don't recommend the naked method. We tried that and it was a lot of cleanup and not much else. The best method I tried was the 20 min rule. Every 20 min we went to the potty and tried. And I mean on the dot, with a timer, the whole time he was awake. But he was nearly 3, so we fought him to get him on the potty every time, but he was trained in 2 days (not that I was pushing for that since I stay at home with him). We went out in public on day 3 and put on a pull-up, which he wore at home on those days too, and I set my watch a little longer 40 min, so we wouldn't get off track too much. He was asking to go at 30 min without any help from me. No accidents, ever, after that weekend. For poo - we used a sticker chart and candy. The candy was inspiration for the moment and the chart was his choice of a fun trip or activity after every 3-5 successful poos in the potty.

His fav video was "Elmo Goes Potty" and we still sing the song "Accidents Happen" though not for potty accidents anymore! :)

1 / 3