Good Books for Seven Year Old

Can anyone suggest a good chapter book series for a seven year old girl?

I am struggling to find something clean and wholesome. Seems like every series I check into is in some way related to the occult or something else unacceptable (snobby girls, etc.) Magic Tree House? Thought it was great, until you get a few books in and they're talking about wizards and Merlin and spells, etc. NO. Librarian suggested Ivy and Bean...so a quick scan through that and a few chapters into the first book one of the girls is "wanting" to be a witch and cast spells. NO. We are very strict about this, for personal reasons...

...so, can you suggest a series? My seven year old girl can read fairly well...we tried Little House on the Prairie but it was a bit slow moving for her. Right now she's reading OLD books of mine...mostly Dell Young Yearling chapter books. I am just at a loss, because even things I think are safe have been polluted by "The Harry Potter" craze.

(And don't get me wrong. Stephen King is one of my fav. authors and I've read all of his books...yes, all...at least twice, some lots more than that. I just don't want to expose my child to any of it yet, due to past experience.)

Thanks! :)

Thanks for all the suggestions. We've already read all the classics (Cleary, etc) but you've all given me lots of ideas for new things to try.

And I just want to explain that I am not against books full of "magic and wonder" as one mother put it...(Roald Dahl is a fav of mine) but I am against "magic" when it's put in a realistic way...as in, witches, warlocks, etc. I have a long history in my youth of pagan religion, I know how "real" many dark things are, and I'd like to steer clear of these things for now. :) Hope that helps!

Not a series but my 8 year old boy has just discovered and is in love with Shell Silverstein. We started with me reading 'Where the Sidewalk Ends' aloud to all 3 of my kids but my 8 year old has taken to reading 'A light in the Attic' aloud to us now!

Then there are like 2 or 3 others...do you remember those books? I loved them when I was little too...they really excite the imagination!

I don't know if they are still around, but there was a "spin-off" from The Babysitter's Club called "Babysitter's Little Sister" .... the main character is in 2nd grade, and deals with a lot of the typical grade school problems, including her parents being divorced, living at two houses, and just general little girl angst....

I realize this is an older series, but they are a good series.

What about any series dealing with animals? "Animal Ark" (the parents are vets, possibly in England), "Pony Pal" series.... Any of the "Judy Blume" series.... those would all be about that age, and appropriate.....

Yes, sometimes in these elementary books, the character has to deal with snobby girls... but that may help you lead into why the character's behavior (the snobby character) is unacceptable......

Read the books first, and that will help you decide how to approach the discussion.

My son is 7 and he loves the Geronimo Stillton Mouse searies and Diary of a Whimpy kid.

Not a series, but you may want to check out books by Beverly Cleary - "Ramona", "The Mouse and the Motor Cycle".

They make books called the illustrated classics, which are a shorter versions of the popular children's classics and include some illustrations, "Heidi", "The Secret Garden", "Black Beauty".

Near the end of the school, our elementary school sells the outdated reading textbooks for 25 cents. They are thick and full of a variety of stories and poems. My kids love buying these.

I loved the Babysitter's Club series when I was around that age. Very good books, and as some have mentioned the spin off Babysitter's Little Sisters Books. These were the first books to come to mind of wholesome books when I read your question. I read the whole Babysitter's Club series when I was around that age and remember them fondly!

sleepover squad, animal ark, my weirder school, sophie the chatter box, animal friends, puppy place, the beirestein bears

Also, try books by Jake Maddox

1 / 3