Golden Retriever Shedding Considering Shaving Him for the Summer?

Our 9 month old golden is shedding everywhere! I vacuum every day and there is still hair all over the place! His groomer suggested shaving him for the summer. I have read conflicting info about this. Some sites say no bc the coat helps them to stay cool in the heat. He is an inside dog though. Any advice would be great! Thanks!

I would advice against shaving. That just puts very small particles of hair that you will be breathing and gets inbedded in carpet. While you cut down on the hair you can see, it does not reduce the shedding whats so ever. Frequent bushign and the right tools is you best bet, but he will still shed allot, it is just in the breed. And with a little one, I would rahter them crawl in the hair, then be breathing it.

While I do not have a recommendation on shaving, I highly recommend the FURMINATOR grooming tool. Its a little pricey, but definitely worth it because I too was vacuuming almost every day. The first time I used it I removed two plastic bags full of loose hair. Hands down it is the ABSOLUTE BEST tool I have found for shedding because it removes all the loose hair from the dog's undercoat. I bought mine at PetSmart, but I am sure you can find them anywhere. Its really worth the money.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=27519...

I feel your pain - my Golden sheds terribly. I have thought about it before too, but all the research I did said that their coats don't grow back the same - it's really coarse. They're such beautiful dogs with gorgeous coats, I wasn't willing to risk it. Also, as one responder said, the coat really does help protect their skin from sun damage. My friends dog was just diagnosed with melanoma in an area where she doesn't have alot of fur.

I have a border collie and an australian shepherd and faced the same problem. It was driving me crazy. I would brush them and then vacuum, turn around and there would be hair. I had them shaved. They were thrilled and no more problem. I'm not sure about Golden Retreivers but I talked to my dog groomer (I use a mobile dog groomer) - and he said indoor dogs coats do not adjust to weather like outdoor dogs and they need to be shaved. My dogs came prancing in after their hair cut and they were so proud. They also didn't seem so hot and are more playfull now. That is my experience! Good luck!

If he is an inside dog I dont see the problem with shaving him. We have a Black Lab and an American Eskimo that both shed (terribly!) and we shave them both in the beginning of summer (May), but they are outside dogs and need their winter coats in time :)

I would recomend not shaving him. Some groomes do the fuminator thing for shedding and you can also give him Fish Oil. It helps a TON with shedding,shine, and skin. You can ask your vet about it. They can prescribe it or you can buy the stuff at Walmart. One pill a day will work wonders within a month. We had a Great Dane that shed a small dog a day and the fsh oil made him not shed at all.The pet vacumms that claim to pick up hair do work. Good Luck.

I have a choc lab that sheds horrible. We have had her shaved twice and it was the best thing we have done. She is more playful and acts like she is much cooler and we have definantly seen a huge difference in the amount of hair that is shed. I will get her shaved every year from now on

Hi L F,
I was a vet tech for several years BC (before children ")
I would suggest trying fish oil first. Salmon oil is great for shedding. A dog of that breed would probably take about 1000 mg a day. You can use human gel caps or find a liquid form on the internet or pet store. "Sometimes" when you shave a coat the hair grows back a bit odd (not the same as before). It is true that dogs use their coats to keep cool and it acts as insulation from the heat and cold. Also sun damage is a problem if the dog will be spending any time outdoors.
Best Regards,

1 / 3