Going Rate for Nannies

Hello, Mom Community! I am looking for some ideas re: what is reasonable to pay a nanny for taking care of two kids, ages 3 and 3 months. I know the pay can vary depending on the ages of the kids, experience of the nanny, things she has to do, etc. I'd like to hear some specific examples, i.e. how old are your kids, is your nanny full or part-time, what are the things she does, etc. Thank you very much for your help!

I was a nanny to a 4 month old and a 3 year for about 6 months while the mom went to school part-time. The family paid me $12.00/hour. My sister was also a nanny for a family with 2 kids under the age of 4 and she was paid 12.00/hr also. It also depends on the experience, I have a teaching degree and my sister has a lot of experience also. Plus if you are going to have them do housework/cleaning, I would pay a little more. If you have any other questions please feel free to email me.

I am a mom now, but was a nanny from 99-05. I worked 45 hours a week for 2 kids. I began when they were 3 and 1/2 and 4 months and continued until they were 6 and 3. The older one was in school the whole time from 8:30 until 3:30 every day. I made $15/hour and received $100 per month towards benefits. I also received mileage. Most of my nanny friends received the same compensation. None made under $12/hour. One distinction, we all had college degrees and at least one year experience. Hope this helps.

I am in the process of hiring a nanny for an infant. We did a little checking and settled on $10 / hour for a nanny that would bring her own child with her.

I would be interested in what you find out about going rates.

We hired a nanny from Laoving Care Nanny service about a month ago for our 1 year old daughter. We only have her for 10 hours a week. The agency suggested to pay between $10-13 an hour for one child. We pay her $12 and $13 for weekends. She does interactive play the whole time and very light house work when Haley is sleeping. It has worked out very well. We agency sent us 4 resumes and then we sent up the interviews. She has several years of experience. The agency has been great and they will send a replacement if ours is sick or on vacation. The only downfall is that it is expensive to go through the agency. We pay a $80 fee a month until we reach $1500 then it stops. That is to cover all the back ground checks and probably the staff at the agency. If we have another child we would give probably a $2 an hour raise. Hope that helps. Good Luck!

K. A.

We pay 10$/ hr for our nanny who is part time approx. 6-7 hrs/week. She does nothing but take care of our toddler 18 mos. She charges 1-2$ more per child for extra children beyond the first. I have found for good care you can expect to pay 10$hr for someone coming to your home.

We have a nanny come to our house part-time, 2+ days a week. She takes care of our (almost) 3 year old girl and 1 year old son. I don't ask her to do anything else, like light housekeeping. But she does do dishes and picks up after the kids while she is here. She also takes the kids out to the Children's Museum and other field trips, using her own car.

We started her at $10/hour and bumped her to $11/hour after six months. We pay all of the payroll taxes and unemployment insurance. She is a full-time student at the U and I found her through an ad I placed in the U Daily last summer.

When we had only our daughter we had another nanny, also a U student, very part-time. We payed her $8/hour.

Please feel free to contact me if you have any further questions.

Good Luck,

L.,
I have a 2.5 year old and a 6 month old. I am a teacher who is technically on leave, but decided to still teach my AP Spanish class, so for half the year (we're on block scheduling), I needed a part-time nanny - 9AM - noon, every other quarter. I originally contacted Loving Care, LTD to find a nanny, but while waiting for them, a friend of a friend became available. She is 29, holds a college degree (in English) and was looking for part time work. Because she is older, reliable, and somebody I (tangentially) know, I am paying her $15/hour. Loving Care had estimated that I would pay $11-14/hour. I don't ask her to do any housework other than clean up after the projects they do or games they play. She makes a light lunch for my elder daughter and herself which they are eating when I come home, so I do the clean-up from that.

I am thrilled to have a nanny rather than send the kids to daycare. It is so great to be able to leave my house and not have to get the kids ready to drop off someplace else. The only drawback (and this depends on your personality type) is that I feel like I need to have the house really clean every morning before she gets here, and that requires a little more discipline at night than I am used to having. :)

Good luck with the nanny search and with the consulting.

L.,
We pay our current nanny $12.50/hour but are going to raise that to $13/hour at her six-month mark. I have a 3 year old and a 1 year old. We live in White Bear Lake and I've been told that the rates on the east side of the twin cities are a little lower than on the west side of the cities. We also are giving her a $1000 bonus if she stays with us for a year.

Hope that helps.

1 / 3