Going on Vacation Without Your Kids

So my husband and I love to travel and we don't do boring vacations. We have been to almost everywhere in the US that we want to see and have zero desire to just go and sit on a beach somewhere. We have chosen a place to visit and it is in South America. The location is completely safe (as safe as it anywhere else would be) but it is in South America.

When we will be going, our kids will be 1 and 3. They will be staying with their grandma who they stay with all the time. She is awesome and they will each have their own room to sleep and they will be absolutely well taken care of.

Right now I am struggling with two things:
1- leaving them for 8 days and 7 nights
2- the idea of my husband and I both going on a plane to another country (all the what ifs)

We haven't been on a real vacation (by our standards) in over 4 years and we have the money saved up. I just worry... ,that's what I do... I worry about everything and worry about things I can't control all the time.

Can anyone out there give me some words of encouragment or am I right to worry?

You could go out to dinner tonight without them and get creamed by a semi, same result, has that ever stopped you from going out to dinner?

Can't go through life with what ifs that tend to never happen.

So far as leaving them for a week, my kids loved staying with different family members for a week. Yeah, they didn't go with just one. Kids love their parents but getting a different parenting style for a while is a lot of fun too.

Sorry to say, I'm a worrier too. I wouldn't go honestly, much less to another country but that's just me. I know I wouldn't enjoy myself.
I have friends that have gone to Vegas for a few days and they had a super time, I just know I couldn't do it yet. my kids are 10yo, 3yo and the baby almost 4 months.
sorry I couldn't be more help, for what's worth I think we as moms worry no matter what :o)

As far as the plane thing, overall, flying is so much less dangerous then most other things we do. I wouldn't worry about that part of things.

In a similar boat here. My husband and I are leaving my 2 year old for 10 days in a couple months. Super excited to go to Europe for the first time but I will be missing my little one like crazy. It will be our first time being away from her for more then overnight (once)
But, I think overall, it is good thing for her and us. I feel it's good for kids it understand that we may leave but will always come back and they can trust and depend on other safe adults. Also, as a couple, I think its great to vacation without your kids and focus on your relationship.

Go. Just go. Your kids will be fine. You'll be fine.

Go. Have fun.

I have many friends who go on cruises, vacations, etc...without the kids. Parents deserve to have some adult time to reconnect and have an adventure.

I would tell you to make sure that your wills are in order and that mom and dad have full legal guardianship if something does happen to you. If anyone contests it they will have to go to court but if no one does then they will have an easier time taking over and caring for your children.

But the truth is that many times people travel and do not have any problems.

I hope you decide to go, I think it is an awesome opportunity for the both of you.

many of our friends/family had a high comfort level with honeymoon vacations. I was (& still am) on the opposite side of the fence. For me, vacations are to be with the kids....& our solo time is when the kids are old enough to be cool with it. To me, this is not a sacrifice....it's simply my preference.

If you are comfortable & desire a honeymoon vacation, then do it! Get your legal papers in order & have fun. :)

All parents need (kid-free) breaks! Just be prepared and organized (you sound like the type that will be!) When we went on a 5-6 day vacation without my son, I made my mom a "manual" for taking care of my son - a page for Dr. information, page for schedules, one for meal ideas, etc. etc. Make sure your ducks are in row for medical authorization should she need them treated anywhere, insurance information, a will and some document that should anything happen to you who care for the children, documentation that your parents have temporary guardianship during dates you are gone, etc.

Your kids will have each other for added comfort and it sounds like they are used to their grandmother so things will be fine! Make sure to send comfort items and that grandma knows their routines. Also, when we vacationed, I had my mom look at pictures of mommy and daddy with my son, which he liked!

ENJOY your vacation (or, at least try to!)

I am JEALOUS! Since my mother passed away, opportunities like this no longer exist. I cannot WAIT until my two are old enough for summer sleep-away camp so my husband and I can go somewhere by ourselves! I honestly think these people who would *never* leave their kids for any length of time never had any sort of life before their kids (and they're doing their children a HUGE disservice by keeping them wrapped up in mommy's coattails 100% of the time).

Make sure you have valid wills stating what should happen with the kids and all of your property if both of you died. Not to be morbid -it's just good sense!

Just think -being gone that amount of time will actually give you time to truly miss them! You'll be so happy to come home -and that's a nice feeling too, so much nicer than feeling like you didn't get enough time away and you're dreading going home. They'll be so happy to see you -it will be great!

And here's another thing to think of -get them used to you being gone on trips now and then NOW while they're so young. That way it's no biggie when you do this. They will probably even look forward to it! My mother was a worrier, but they traveled and left me with relatives and friends throughout my childhood (as well as taking me on many great trips) -and I LOVED seeing them go off and have fun. I also loved the break of getting to stay with someone else. It's good for your kids!

1 / 3