Going on Vacation, Do I Pay Nanny?

I've read a lot of posts about paid leave for nannies. What happens if I go on vacation for a week? She's obviously counting on that salary. I'm thinking of offering the following:

- I pay you if I'm out of town or if we're all sick and you need to stay home.
- I don't pay if you're sick and you're out of town.

I feel that's fair since I don't get paid unless I go to work (also paid hourly)

EDIT: She is a recent immigrant (legally) and did not get her through an agency. She is clearly in love with my child and not in it for the money. She left another family because they treated her so badly. I'm also planning on a raise after she's been with us for 6 months.
What do you think?

PS I pay for her transportation regardless

Thanks to all of you for your input. It seems as most of you agree with what I posted and therefore, I will pay her for the time I'm gone.

As far as the immigrant comment is concerned. I was responding to another response. I would never pay someone less just because they are an immigrant. If anything, because she is so new to the country and I'm so new to having a nanny, I wanted to get feedback so that she gets what she deserves. As far as time off, I doubt she would even ask for it, as she's too timid. I have to create the rules or she wouldn't ask for anything. She's been taken advantage of by the previous family so I want to do right by her and treat her well.

Thanks again for your responses

Hello. I have a nanny, she gets paid every week, 52 weeks a year, that is the way it works. She gets 2 weeks vacation paid, and yes you need to pay her when you go on vacation. It is the same as if you were to use a daycare, you have to pay irregardless if you use daycare or not.

Hi, I am a New Yorker that lives in England for the past 20 years. I have a "childminder." Childminders in England need to be registered so it is all above board. I am contractually bound by the dates I give her and pay her even if my child does not go to her. I also pay her a summer retainer to hold my place, as I am a teacher and do not need to send my child to her in the summer. So I think it is fair. They need to make a living too and they count on the salary.

It seems most nannies are paid all the time and when the family goes on vacation. Thus, I am a nanny and requested I be compensated while my family went on vacation. They told me a week before they went on vacation. They told me they should not compensate me. It has now left me without 2 weeks with no pay. No pay for bills or food. Its very fair that you are paying for the time you are away. I wish my employer did this. And yes, she is counting on that salary like I was!

I like this post! Thank you for listing it!

I don't have a nanny, but this sounds very fair to me. My daycare requires payment whether you are there or not for the first 6 months. After that time, you get 1 week every 6 months that you don't have to pay if you give them notice of the vacations...just so you have a comparison. (You can consolidate, as long as you have earned the time).

I am not a nanny and don't have a nanny, but yes, I would pay her for your vacation time. If she works for you, she has made this time available to you and expects to work. It is not her fault if you decide to plan a vacation or get sick. She does this for work, she is in it for the money. It's great that she is a good nanny and has a great relationship with your child, but this is her job and she counts on the income.

That sounds reasonable - similar to what I do with the woman who does cleaning etc for me - I pay her if I tell her not to come for any reason, like we are off on vacation, but if she doesn't come in as she is going away then I don't pay. Then the choice is hers as to whether she takes her holidays at the same time as us, in which case she loses no pay, or if she takes them at other times, in which case she doesn't get paid for those days.
Like one of the other contributors, I also pay a bonus at Christmas time of a week's pay.

I agree with the other posts that say you should pay her while you're on vacation. I would add that you should offer her some paid sick days. Otherwise, there is the risk that she will come to work when she is sick just so she will get paid, which is something you want to avoid.

yes, you should pay her. As a former nanny myself, you do count on your income for things like rent and groceries. I was once with a family who went away for two and a half weeks and did not pay me while they were gone. That month I had to choose between paying my rent or paying my bills. I was so upset that i spent my two and a half weeks "off" looking for another job. I loved the family dearly but they put me in a horrible position and I had to do what was right for me. I worked for another family that went on vacation and decided to pay me for the time but asked (not required) me to help them catch up on their laundry and to organize their little girl's room and closet. I was more than happy to do it since it gave me something to do and after all they were paying me. Just remember, it isn't her fault you are going on vacation and she shouldn't have to struggle financially because of that.

Well, it looks like you are offering to pay if you go out of town, which was your question, right? Sounds good to me!
You do NOT need to pay her if she is sick or takes a vacation.
I am a full time nanny (I bring my children with me) and have been with this family for 2 1/2 years. I have NEVER been paid vacation pay (and they go 3 weeks in the summer) and it is SUCH A STRUGGLE when I go almost a month without money.

1 / 3