God Jff

Anyone asked HIM for help and been disappointed? How did you handle the disappointment? Did this ruin your faith or did you just wait patiently and see IF things worked out? Could use some words of wisdom

Take comfort that G-d did hear you and that in and of itself is help. Lack of an immediate "answer" lets you play a role.

Sometimes disappointment can lead you on another path, be it emotional, physical or spiritual.

I also like the adage of G-d helps those who helps themselves. I'm not saying this is the case with you, but that has helped me immensely.

In all of my 41 years of life I have always known on some level that God walked with me. It wasn't until a decade ago that I realized how he leads. Sometimes he sees the dreams and passions in my heart and leads me toward them. More often he places opportunities quietly at my feet to discover on my own. Most often I realize my blessings in hindsight.
Ten years ago, I met the man of my dreams and I wanted to marry him. My life was seemingly perfect, but he abruptly broke things off after dating for a year. I was devastated. It was the beginning of a series of events that ultimately led me to moving out of state. 6 months later I met my husband to be. I now have two kids and life is so different in so many wonderful ways. It was during that time of utter heartbreak and struggle that I turned to God and had faith that somehow all of this would turn out for the best. And it has. I love the following saying: God has three answers for all prayers: yes. Not yet. and I have something better in mind. When opportunities come my way now, I try to look at them with an open mind. Even if it is something that I am not too jazzed about, I do it anyway and am usually stunned by the blessings that unfold because of it. Let God lead you and you will be amazed at where he takes you!
God Bless,
A.

We don't always get what we want, just because we pray for it. I have been a Christian my whole life, and have had many disappointments. My husband and I are going thru something with his daughter and his ex. It is NOT going our way although we keep praying about it. We just keep telling ourselves that God knows the Big Picture and we have to believe there is some reason things are going the way they are. Although we feel like it isn't for OUR benefit, maybe its for his DAUGHTERS benefit or even his EX'S benefit (which is HARD to swallow). We don't know the "WHY", but we rest in the fact that we know WHO is in charge and there is a reason for everything. I love the saying, "I may not know what the future holds, but I know Who holds the future." So just rest in the fact although YOU may not understand, the all powerful and knowing One does. Hope that helps. Good luck!!!

IMHO......

Disappointment comes from not having your expectation met. But why is it YOUR expectation that is most important?

I believe in God, but more in the "higher power" sense. I am able to merge several differing philosophies and they all seem to make sense to me. My beliefs may differ a bit from yours. So, take this with a grain of salt.

I watched a documentary when I was in High School that touched me deeply. It had something to do with making sure that you prayed "the RIGHT prayer". This guy had done a prayer study with plants. He separated them into 3 categories (I'm 40 now, so I'm paraphrasing).

1. Control group. No prayers were said about these plants.
2. "Please help these plants grow big and healthy"
3. "I trust that what will happen to these plants is what is supposed to happen".

Interesting results.

Group #3 plants flourished. These plants were noticeably larger, grew faster and had better color.
This was the group in which the "result" was left up to God / Higher Power / The Universe... whatever you believe in.

Group #1 plants grew at the rate a horticulturalist would expect. This was the group for which NO prayers were said.

Group #2 plants DID NOT GROW as well as expected. Noticeably smaller, some plants died.

Everything was the same for all three groups, except prayer. Temperature, amount of water, type of soil, type of plant etc. It was all the same except for the prayer.

The researchers intent was to prove that a specific prayer would yield positive results and the energy from multiple people praying the same prayer would impact how the plants grew. But that's not what happened. Why? Hmmmmm. It's because the prayers in Group #2 were SELFISH prayers. "let them grow big". "let us win the game" "let my child live". These are things we want. Things we think we need. BUT THEY ARE SELFISH. These prayers do not take into account the "bigger plan". They take into account OUR PLAN.

Let's stop talking about plants and cut to the chase. "Let my child live". Selfish? Surely not.

ABSOLUTELY. "Let my child live" is about what that parent wants. And OF COURSE that's what they want. Sometimes that is in direct conflict with the *plan* for the universe. "Let my child live" MAY NOT BE THE BEST COURSE OF ACTION..... in the larger picture. Hard to imagine, I know.

But that is where faith comes in. Faith is nothing more than impulse control of the mind and will over what we want. It's believing in our core that something IS or is right...... when it goes against logic.

If your faith wanes when things don't go your way..... that's not faith. That's selfishness.
And sometimes that's OK. Sometimes we have to throw a tantrum to get ourselves back on track. That's what makes us human.

Watch "What the Bleep Do We Know". It starts Marlee Matlin and basically has to do with quantum physics. It's similar to the *premise* of The Secret without all the Harry Potter mumbo-jumbo and convoluted double-circle speak.

Watch "The Adjustment Bureau" with Matt Damon and Emily Blunt.

Both deal with plans that are larger than *us* and what impacts things beyond what we can *believe* and *control*.

However..... I also like the joke about the man who lives in an area devastated by a flood. He drags himself and his family to the rooftop and prays to God to save him.

A boat comes along....
"Hop in" the captain says.
"Nope.... God will save me" the man says.
The boat floats away.... to save others.

The man continues to pray to God to save him. He believes God will save him.

A helicopter comes along....
"Catch the rope" the pilot calls down.
The helicopter flies away.... to save others.

Eventually the man and his family die. As he is dying he has one more conversation with God. "God... You ignored my prayers. I prayed for you to come and save me. You didn't save me. I have been faithful. I am a follower. Why did you not come save me?." He is angry with God.

God answers "what do you mean I ignored your prayers?" God asks. "I sent you a boat and helicopter" God says. "I answered your prayers. You didn't want to accept my help, because it wasn't in the form you expected".

I wish you luck and peace on whatever journey you are taking.

God doesn't always answer and sometimes the answser is NO. I don't get disappointed because I can't see the "big" picture. He does.

A good friend of mine's daughter died last December. I did question that. She had just turned 19 and would have started college last fall. She was diagnosed with cancer the week of Prom.

She would have been the one to keep on Earth because she was such a child of God. She spread the Word and had such a love of life. She was a great young woman. I don't understand why she and her family had to go through this. During the service, it was truly amazing how many lives she touched and I realized how much she had touched mine. What a gift. I know her Mom questions this alot but her faith is large and she knows she will see her daughter again. That is faith. The absolute knowing that there is something bigger and better than us. To know that she is in a better place, pain free with her grandparents to comforting to us.

Did I ask God to spare her? Yes. Do I understand why he didn't? No. But I do know there is a plan and this was part of it.

I truly look at God as my Father. He is my parent, my perfect parent. As a parent I sometime don't give my children what they are asking for. Sometimes I want them to earn what they want or sometimes what they want really wouldn't be good for them, but they don't always see it that way. Sometime I have something even better planned for them in the future and giving them what they desire when they desire it would alter that better plan. In the end it would be much easier on all of us if my children would just trust me because I love them dearly and I really am doing the very best for them and they just don't have the experiences or knowledge to understand the plan. God is a perfect Father. He has a perfect plan. In fact he has something better than ever in store for all of us and all we need to do is just trust in him.

I will give you an example. I greatly desired to have another baby. All our children also desired to have one more baby as well. My husband was just not on the same page and getting pregnant has always been very difficult for me. We prayed and prayed for years that my husbands heart would soften and that I would be able to get pregnant quickly. Finally as an anniversary gift my husband agreed that we could have one more child. As God would have it, I became pregnant the very next month. We were all thrilled! I felt that this child may very well be our last because I really was not young and I cherished every moment of that pregnancy. In my 31 weeks of pregnancy I suddenly felt something very wrong and just wanted to hear that babies heart beat. We discovered that that she had died and I soon went into labor. She was born on Mother's Day and our hearts were broken. I really couldn't fathom how this could be God's plan but I decided to just put all my faith in him that somehow there was some kind of good to come out of this. I gave God all my tears. I gave him all the pain and I told him to accept this child as a gift and to have his Mother rock my child in heaven as I would have done on earth. I told him that this child was very special to me and that I was thankful for her very short life. I told him that he suffered here on earth and I would join him in suffering if he would give me joy and peace. I can't explain the peace I felt during that suffering and there is joy even during such great sorrow. I felt it. I asked him to give me his Mother as my help to get through this because she also buried a child. I asked Mary to take me to her Son's feel and ask him to give me hope. We went on to bury another child and I continued to pray and trust that somehow this was all going to work out for the good of his greater plan but that I really desired no more children because the pain was so great. I had buried both a daughter and a son and I just didn't think I could do it again and I felt my husband would never agree to have another child. As God would plan it, He snuck one more little one in. I had decided that I must not be healthy and had sought the help of a wonderful doctor. He discovered I had some health issues that had went undetected. We worked to correct these issues and when I discovered that I was pregnant he was able to help me to carry this little girl to full term. I know that had either one of those babies lived we would not have this little girl in our lives. I had been praying for one more child and God in his wisdom gave me three more. The children who died are just as much a gift to me as the one who lived. I love them all and would never not want any of them in my life. I thank God for all the tears and all the joys for everything I have and everything I don't. Trust in him. He has something better than ever planned.

I always found that I got more done on my feet than on my knees. But that's MY experience. Your mileage may vary.

I look back on my life and there were things I desperately, painfully wanted...but I didn't need. I THOUGHT I needed it, boy did I. I didn't. I know that know, looking in the past.

I don't treat God like Santa Clause. He is not a wish granter. He is not there to answer our prayers or questions, in the exact way I want Him too. No, God not being a genie does not ruin my faith.

God isn't there to grant us wishes that we think we deserve. Like a parent who knows best for their child (even when they don't agree), his plans are often not what we expect. Faith is trusting that even when things don't seem to be working for us, his plans are well laid.

I think of it like this: My dog has no idea why she has to go to the veterinarian to get shots. For all she knows, I'm torturing her. Her doggy brain cannot possibly understand the possibility of getting a serious and life-threatening illness if she doesn't get the shots. But that doesn't make the risk any less of a risk.

So our human brains can't possibly know what GOD knows. He envisioned us long before we ever existed. He has counted the hairs on our heads. Trust that HE knows what's best.

1 / 3