Gluten-free, Dairy-free, Egg-free, Yeast-free, Soy-free, Peanut-free, Oat-free,

I thought that I would try to find some recipes for a friend of mine who's little boy has quite a few issues with the foods above. If anyone knows of any good website or has had experience with this please let me know. She is also changing the whole family's way of eating so he doesn't feel left out!

Thanks

My daughter has Celiac disease (no gluten) in addition to egg and dairy allergies so I can sympathize with your friend. I am a vegetarian, so making meals that suit the whole family's dietary needs and lifestyle choices is a challenge! We have found it easiest to just think of a "normal" dinner and work around it. Keeping things simple is key!! It's difficult and costly to make everyone eat the same allergy-free diet, so we also work around that the best we can. For eample, we have taco nights. My daughter and husband have meat with gluten free taco sauce. I have veggie meat w/ taco sauce. My daughter has corn tortillas and my husband and I have flour tortillas. Tomatoes and lettuce are obviously okay for everyone. My daughter has tofu sour cream and my husband and I have regular. On pasta night, my husband and I have regular wheat pasta and my daughter has Quinoa pasta and everyone has gluten free pasta sauce. I don't think there's any worry of the child with allergies feeling left out as long as their substitute is similar to the everyone else is having.

try Livingwithout.com

It is a magazine that also has helpful information & recipes online. It deals with all types of allergies so should be good for your friend.

There is a cook book called "Special diets for Special Kids" written by Lisa Lewis Phd. It is targeting a diet for children with autism. However, the recipes fit the description that you are asking for. It has a lot of basic recipes that children will eat.

Glutenfree.com it's a great site, you can buy foods from the site and have them UPS to your home and they also have different cookbooks.

Have the family talk to a Registered Dietitian. You don't want to restrict everything if you don't have to, and this kind of diet restriction is extremely difficult to try and tackle alone. A dietitian can guide them through this.

I'm not really answering your question--I don't have any recipes to share--so forgive me. I just wanted to say that people with food allergies do not necessarily need special recipes, only substitutions/modifications to foods they already love. I don't know where your friend lives, but I would really recommend going to a co-op (you don't need to be a member) or Whole Foods to shop for groceries. The 2 "natural food" aisles at Cub Foods doesn't cut it if you've got severe allergies, and what is there is overpriced.

Rice, hemp, and almond milks would be good substitutions, both to drink and in recipes. Tofu can be substituted for eggs, sour cream, and cheese in recipes. Corn tortillas and sourdough bread would be yeast-free (not sure on the gluten).

Good luck to your friend and her family.

1 / 3