Glasses for 3 Year Old

Hi all. I just found out that my 3 1/2 year old is pretty nearsighted and needs glasses. However, we are having trouble finding an optical that a) takes our vision insurance (Avesis) and b) has frames small enough for his precious little face. There was a children's optical in our pediatric ophthalmologist's office, but they didn't take my insurance and the frames would have cost over $300. But they were able to tell me that he would be a size 39 eye. We have also looked in the mall opticals, i.e. Lenscrafters and Eye Masters, but they didn't have anything quite small enough. The closest they had was 42, which looked too big for him. Does anyone know where we might be able to find glasses that are small enough for a 3 year old? Thank you!

I asked about getting my young (she is now 3) daughter's vision checked and I got a response about http://www.carlssoneyes.com/ Carlsson Pediatric and Family Eye Care - the female owner/wife of the doctor is on here. They were great with my daughter but are based out in Gilbert - so I am not sure if that is near you or not. I checked their site and your insurance is one of them listed on the site.

Let me know how it goes!

Hi B., I just saw your request and wanted to respond personally. I am one of the owners of Carlsson Pediatric and Family Eye Center and we specialize in children and the whole family. We do take some Avesis plans and you are welcome to call the office and talk with our staff in order to verify your coverage. The number is ###-###-####. You are doing a great thing by looking around as fit and prescription are vital to his long term vision. Please give us a call, we would be happy to help.

Contact your insurance company or look on their website. They can provide you with a list of providers that take their insurance in your area.

And this qualifies for eligibility if you have a flex plan or Health Savings Account.

I had Avesis years ago and don't remember having much of a problem finding a provider. But it's been a long time and EyeMed and VSP seem to be larger.

I would try Wal-Mart or a Super Target. You can always call first and ask if they have one that small. We've had great luck with Wal-Mart. The will even replace the lenses if they get a scratch. Even better they accept Avesis, because that's the plan we have for our children. Good luck. They have lots of cool frames like Sponge Bob and Jimmy Newtron for boys and Hannah Montana for girls.

Nationwide takes Avesis and I know they have kids frames. I suggest giving them a call. That is where we use our Avesis coverage.

D

Hi B.,
We found out when my son had just turned 4 that he needed glasses too (he is now 8), we also had Avesis at the time...and we went to COSTCO. Ironically, I was just saying yesterday to a friend that the first pair of glasses he had were the best frames that I felt he has had so far. They do a great job...we have since changed insurance co's and we go to a place close to our home, Arizona Vision. Not sure if they take AVESIS, but they do have kids frames (not sure what size they start out at though) - those two places are worth a try though...good luck!

1 / 3