Giving My 3 Year Old Liquid Medications

My son is on Amoxicillin and giving it to him is a nightmare!! He refuses to swallow it. We use a squiter and offer a reward after it he takes his medication "nice". It ends up everywhere except in his stomach. We have also tried to offer it to him by in small doses with a drink of his choice. We have also tried to give it to him by spoon. He hides and would rather go to his room to bed then take it. Does anyone have any suggestions on successful ways to give a toddler liquid medicine? I feel so bad when we have to try and give him this medication.

Thank you for all of the suggestions!! Not wanting to take the medication was a control thing for my 3 year old. My husband and I ended up making a game out of it and put the ball in his court and the medicine went down. Toward the end of the dose, he was reminding us that it was medicine time!!!

I found when my children were little that to mix the required dose into a drink of juice or milk usually worked. Try something that he really likes to drink and do not make it a large portion or he won't get the medicine. My daughter-in-law uses this same method with her ADHD 3-year-old and it works.

hi N., one response said it was cruel but sometimes it is the only way...i can get anything in my 3 year old if i have to. i sit on him, arms on his side, one hand holds his mouth open and one hand delivers the medicine. it is easier to use a plastic ml syringe and stick it as far back as possible. my son would bite down on the syringe and that actually worked better because then he had more of a problem spitting it out. for the swallowing, hold the nose or blow in their face. its not cruel, its what you have to do to make him better. my son had to be on constant, multiple medications for a year and a half. sometimes its easy and sometimes its not.

Have you tried to let him do it himself? either in the squirter or as a drink? and have a cup of his favorite juice/milk/etc. to drink as soon as he drinks the other stuff.
that's what worked best with my daughter - doing it herself. Good luck!

My son would gag from the medication and end up throwing up, so I know what you're going through. You could call your doctor and tell him or her (better yet, the nurse) what's going on. Just make sure they know that you have tried everything and your son will not swallow this medication. They may suggest having it flavored by the pharmacy (didn't work for us), or putting it in juice, or something else that may work for you. In our case, I just asked for another antibiotic that would work that also came in a chewable form. Good luck with this!

Get your amox CHEWABLE. My 3-yr-old will NOT take liquid medication of any sort whatsoever- he never has. It was great when he was 2-1/2 or so and could begin taking the chewable medication. It worked like a charm, and I highly recommend it! Best of luck.

I haven't read through all of the responses so someone may have already mentioned this. I can totally identify! When our daughter was about 6 months old she was on amoxicillen and would throw it up. I got puked on 4 times in 2 days and our recliner had to be cleaned twice!Amoxicillen has a terrible taste! It may help if the medication is flavored. I think all pharmacies will add flavor to kids' medicines. Target pharmacy is great! They have a little chart that rates medications on how yucky they taste and what flavors are the best for covering the taste. Maybe if your son can pick the flavor he will be more willing to take it. Good luck!

when I know there is no possible way to get my kid to take medicine I opt for a one time injection. If I'm going to be a bad guy I only want that once instead of multiple times a day for 10 days.
If you've done everything you can to get your child to take it and it just is doing no good being spit all over, that's not going to make him better. maybe you would consider injection instead.

I know this may sound very cruel, but our son went through the same issue at around the same age. Unfortunately, it took both of us to get him to take it and it wasn't the easiest thing to do. We literally had to hold him down and use the syringe to inject it into his mouth and then we had to hold his nose so that he would swallow it. I know it sounds ABSOLUTELY cruel, but when they have to take medication, you have to do what you have to do, and that is what we had to do, because he had so many ear infections.

I've had to hide medicine many, many times. Applesauce is a good one, yogurt, ice cream, pudding. Whatever it takes. Just make sure the child doesn't know that you put it in there.

1 / 3