Giving a Child Melatonin

has anyone given their child melatonin to help them fall asleep, if so, how much and where did you get it from? I was thinking of giving it to my daughter, she's 6 weeks shy of her 5th birthday. I have tried every other method to get her to bed earlier than 10pm, this is a last resort. please no negative feed back, i feel bad enough that i'm even considering medicating her. also, thanks to the moms in the past who have given me advice on how to help her get to sleep earlier, it just hasn't worked. she is THAT strong willed!
TIA

My son is the most ridiculously hyper boy you ever want to meet. With no melatonin he can stay awake playing in his room till 2 am. It was a constant battle. With the melatonin he's out by 9 oclcok!

My dr reccomended it when we were getting ready to start school. I buy a $4 bottle of 3mg melatonin from the dollar store. I cut them in half and give half to each. Mine are 4 and 5. Sometimes when they are extra super hypr I will give them the whole thing and it knocks thier little butts right out! It just makes them sleepy not druggy, so they wake up happy and clear headed in the morning.

I have an energizer bunny too! My youngest (he is 4.5) and yes, I do use melatonin and it works like a charm. You can order the liquid type (if she cannot swallow pills yet) from Target. It works like a charm for us. I had reservations too, but am glad we tried it. It helps him sleep through the night and he wakes up refreshed and in good spirits, whereas he used to wake with bad dream thoughout the night and we never got a full nights sleep. I would recommend it if you feel you have tried anything else. Good luck to you!!

Our son has ADHD and can't fall asleep on his own ... far too much energy. He takes 2 mg. of melatonin an hour before bedtime. We started melatonin on his doctor's advice.

I would start small with a 1 mg. dosage and then work up as needed. 3 mg. max should be enough, but if it isn't, I'd ask her doctor what he/she recommends.

I've given it to my twin girls off and on since they were 3. They are great sleepers once they are asleep. They wanna stay up all night and sleep all day. (which is exactly how I was) When I give it to them I give them 1/2 of a 1mg tablet. I buy the Source Naturals brand-the sublingual ones.

I used this for almost 2 months with my daughter who is 3. I bought I think 3 or 5 mg from GNC (chewable) and it worked great. Talk with your childs pediatrician about it if your concerned but it should be given in cycles of no more than 2 months because it can cause vivid dreams and mood changes if used long term

I give it to my daughter almost every night after dinner. She will be 3 in Feb. I have the chewable tablets that you can get from Wal Mart. I think they are 5mg, so i break it in half. It doesn't knock her out, it just helps her stay asleep instead of getting up repeatedly throughout the night. I checked with her doctor 1st and it is safe. It's not a drug, it is something that your body naturally produces. You don't want to use Tylenol or Motrin since that can be hard on the stomach and there is no medical issue.

And don't feel bad! The negative feedback is from people who obviously do not have a child that will do anything to avoid going to bed and stay up all hours of the night. It will just help her mellow out and go to bed instead of fighting it.

My mom and I both tried melatonin for ourselves after our brother praised it highly. That night, we both had really extremely crazy weird disturbing dreams. We neither took it again. I don't know about giving it to kids, so can't offer advice on that, but just want to advise you of this potential side effect, so you can be on the lookout for it. Most people who have tried melatonin don't have that side effect, but I've read stories from other people who have had the same kind of weird dreams that I had, so it isn't completely uncommon. Another potential thing to look out for, is that some medications can work in reverse on kids [instead of knocking them out, it hypes them up], so I'd do more research to make sure this doesn't have that possibility.

It's possible that your daughter is just a natural "night owl", but melatonin might help get her sleepy earlier. Have you tried making her go to her room and be quiet (but she doesn't "have to" sleep) around 7:30 or 8:00? -- let her stay up as late as she wants "reading" her books or playing with her toys, but she *must* be quiet.

My 8 1/2 yr old takes it and sometimes my 5 yr old will take it. They take the chewable kind that comes in the purple bottle. I'm not sure of the name I just pick it up now. My 5 yr old sounds the same as yours. I would start with a small dose and go up from there. He takes a half of a 5mg pill or maybe a little more depending on the night. For him he needs to take it 15-20 minutes before bed because if he has it in his body longer than that before going to bed it has the opposite effect on him. My 8 yr old can take it an hour before bed and has no problems falling asleep. So I will usually give it to him just before pj and book time and that way he is resting while the pill works its magic.
I am so glad you are not getting any negative feed back. I asked this same question before I started giving it to my son and there were some that were so nasty.

1 / 3