Giving a Child an Adult Enema

Hi All,

We recently took my seven-year-old daughter to the pediatric GI specialist for hard-to-treat reflux. She suspects that her intestines might be backing up into her stomach, so she recommended that we give her an adult Fleet enema followed by a prescription laxative treatment to totally clear things out. I'm thinking a children's enema sounds traumatic enough. Anyone ever used an adult enema on a child? What should I expect?

Additional information as requested: yes, an x-ray did seem to indicate back-up. I didn't give much more info because I wasn't really looking for a "mamasource diagnosis"--just some practical experience anyone might have to share on using the enema. Her history is pretty complicated, but I didn't think I needed to share all for what I'm looking for here today. In any case, it is my understanding that digestive motility issues can contribute to reflux (in fact some secondary meds are used to correct this)--basically, if things aren't moving through easily, the system is more likely to back up and lead to reflux. I do appreciate the concern about diagnosis, but mostly I'm hoping to hear about how enemas may have gone for others. ;-)

And a bit more: I am a pescatarian (vegetarian diet plus fish/seafood) who buys almost exclusively whole grains and many fruits/veggies--the problem seems to be anatomical. I don't expect this to permanently solve the problem, but it would certainly give insight into the problem if it relieves symptoms, and then we could look at how to maintain a clearer system. Again, I'm not looking for alternative diagnoses or treatments--just stories from those with experience--thanks to all who've shared. In any case, please do not respond with products you sell! Sorry--a pet peeve.

Many thanks.

Thanks, All, for the support. The enema went okay (the nurse said they use adult enemas in this situation because they want more fluid). After crying and stress and fear, she was willing to try it and then asked me questions like, "Is it in?" and "Are you squeezing it?" so I guess that part wasn't so bad! It did hurt her coming out though (the poop--the force and quantity, I guess), and she said the solution was stinging her back side. Still, after about 10 minutes (she resisted letting it out, so it took a while for it all to come out) we were okay again. Later, on the Miralax, she was delighted to have what she described as a Jack-in-the-box poop; I don't think I even realized that trouble she's been having with constipation, so I really hope we're on the right track. Thanks, again.

I would be concerned about causing a tear in the colon. That could be very dangerous. Can you get another opinion?

If the dr told you to give it to her she must think its bad enough for an adult dose.

an enema is an enema is an enema, none are pleasant and i dont see it doing damage just a little more flush.

A fleet enema doesn't have all that much fluid in it.
I had to have them used on me when I was that age too. No harm done.
If you are worried about the nozzle being too large, I'm sure it isnt, the sphincter is an amazingly adaptable muscle.
And actually when I had to have my enemas they used the regular ol' enema bag which holds quite a bit more fluid than a fleet.
I was a holder of my poop, got really backed up a lot. My mom has a picture of me when I was 4 that looks like I'm pregnant. I held my poop till I was 10. It was a crazy time. The enemas are miracle workers tho, if she's impacted she is going to feel so much better when it all comes out.
If this is the case, just be sure to feed her lots of fiber and lots of hydration so she can keep things moving after she's cleaned out.

The only difference between a children's enema and an adult one would be the amount of fluid in the bottle. The doctor wants you to use the adult one because the goal is to wash all that feces out of her intestines. I'm not sure that there is even a child's enema.

You follow the directions on the bottle. Administering an enema is the same for children and adults.

It will only be traumatic if you make doing it a big deal. Explain the process as you go.

Perhaps you haven't given yourself an enema and so aren't sure of the process? You could give yourself one first, without your child present to reassure yourself that it really is a simple process.

Or, if you're still uncomfortable with it, ask the doctor's office if you could bring her in so that their medical assistant could administer the enema. If that isn't possible they can at least describe the process.

My mother had to use one on me when I was about that age so all I can offer is my memory of it. It was not traumatic in the least. Uncomfortable, yes but not traumatic. My only wish was that my mother had explained how the wait time was going to be difficult. In fact the wait time was excruciating because the need to go was huge. I was hopping from foot to foot and squeezing for all I could muster. TMI but honest. I think if you explain the process to your daughter and just stay with her trying to distract her, you’ll both be fine. I am sure the doctor recommended the adult enema for a reason so I would follow his or her advice. Good luck and many well wishes for your daughter being on the mend soon.

I would talk to a pharmacist first to feel better about the docs request. This way they can tell you what the outcomes of using this medication and possible side effects you should be watching for.

So you saw a GI Specialist.
Your daughter has reflux.
Did the Doc do an x-ray? To see if her body is backed up? Or does she just suspect it? They can do an x-ray to make sure if there is blockage.

So, if she is getting backed-up internally, does she have Constipation or Encopresis????
This is what enemas are used for etc.

When my daughter was a Toddler, she had bad Constipation. We saw a Pediatric Gastroenterologist Doctor. He said, no enemas for kids nor laxatives. This was for my daughter's bowel problems and constipation. It was a BM problem.
However, your child is 7.
I just don't understand.... what reflux has to do with her getting backed up internally and then needing an Enema?
Is this common?
So if you could perhaps explain this more in your post.
My understanding is that reflux can cause a rise of the stomach acids... back up into the esophagus. But that it is not a constipation problem. Enema use, per adults, are for bowel problems.

Here are interesting articles about Enema use and its precautions:
http://www.acidrefluxdisease-symptoms.com/enema-kits/
http://www.drugs.com/mtm/fleet-enema-for-children.html
http://www.fleetlabs.com/faq.php

One of the articles says, to NOT use Adult strength Fleet Enemas on children.

Laxatives, are typically used for poop problems. Not reflux.

1 / 3