Girls Hormones

Looking for some help with a daughter who's moods are constantly changing. She could be fine one minute then the next she is all upset just because your not fixing what she wants for dinner and then she's off to her room crying. But about 10 min. later she comes out like nothing ever happened. Hormones are driving me nuts. And she is only 11.

I want to thank everyone for their response. I have looked into bipolar and talked to a doctor but no doctor wants to diagnose a child with that. So until she starts her period and goes through puberty we are on our own. We have started her on some vitamins and hope that helps some. I know my husband has a calcium dificiency and her moods could be related to his, passed down. He can become very moody as well when he doesn't take his vitamins. I guess I was more curious, and didn't say it correctly, how other mothers handle their daughters when they are moody like this and if anyone has any helpful hints. Oh, and thank you to the mom about the dinner thing. I don't give into her. She is on her own. She eats what we make or goes to bed hungry. That is how I was raised and I am not going to give in. Thank you so much for everyones advice. This site in amazing. I didn't know if anyone would respond or not.
God Bless.

Even though she is only 11 she could be an early bloomer. Many girls these days are developing earlier and earlier. She could be starting her womanly hormonal changes. I had friends when I was young start their periods at 10 and 11. I have many friends now that their daughters are starting their periods at 10 and 11. If she hasn't started hers yet she may be close, and she is just dealing with the internal hormonal changes and she may not know what is happening to her.

This is not to alarm you, but you might also want to talk to her doctor about the signs/symptoms of mania and bipolar disease. Just something to look into, since the sudden mood changes are classic signs. Best of luck.

I do simpathize with you since I have a daughter that just turned 12 and we have went through this for a while now. I think I clash more with her on her moods then her dad because I am a female too. He doesn't see it as much as me but that is also because I am with her more and of course she is a daddy's girl. If it is severe you may talk to her dr about it as well. She may be getting ready to start or just struggling with self image, etc. or it could be something like bi-polar disorder. Definately discuss it with her doc if it continues to worsen. Just my opinion though. Good luck.

I completely agree with all the others, wait and see if she starts her cycle, maybe she's having a hard time with the emotions from that. If she doesn't with in a short time I would take her and ask the doc about being bi-polar.

I haven't read the other responses to know if this has been mentioned. But have you checked to make sure it's her hormones and not bipolar disorder? My cousin was like that when she was younger and they ignored it for years. She was finally treated for Bipolar in her twenties, and after she started on her medications and therapy and whatnot, she's become a different person. Check with your doctor before doing anything drastic though, it really could be hormones or depression.

Hello Keri,
I also have a daughter almost the same age(9 yrs old will be 10 in Feb) and I have been dealing with high and low emotions for months now.I have spoke to her peditrician about this and she says that it's just hormones kicking in,she also told me that they will start getting a little tummy,eating alot,mood swing's and alot of crying!Try and be patient and understanding,I know easier said than done.My daughter will come home from school crying that all of her friend's hate her,she hates school its too hard and has even said that I dont love her,Wow she has blown me away at times.See I wasnt ever supposed to be able to get pregnant and then God blessed me with her so I was really blown away with all of this.It has calmed down a little here but we still have our days.I have been at my witts end at times and have taking a Mommy time out just to step away for a little while.She has also been eating alot lately more than I even do at times. But the Doctor says all is well.I dont think the bi-polar is something to worry about yet.If you need anyone to talk to feel free to message me back.And I totally agree with one of the other comments We do need a Mom's Support Group!!!

this sounds like test book bi-polar....they have incrediable and safe meds...my friends daughter had major mood swings (she was fine the yr. b4) she had bi-polar...she was 11 also..since she is on meds she is so much happier and so is the rest of the family...good luck

Hi, I haven't responded to this group before, but this more like just hormones than bi-polar. The mood swings in bi-polar usually last for days and weeks, not minutes. They are also usually more extreme than that. The highs in bi-polar, mania, is not just being "fine", either (I didn't see anything in your post about this side of bi-polarism). You could google the symptoms and see if they match her and/or talk to her doctor.

Hello K.,

My name is J.. Either she is getting ready to start the mother nature thing or you might want to have her tested for Bi-Polar or other diseases. Voice your opinion to her dr or get her dr.'s advice. please keep me posted at ____@____.com

1 / 3