Girl Scout Summer Camps

Does anyone have experience with the Girl Scout summer camps? We are thinking about Camp Bette Perot and I would like to know about others who have gone there and what their opinions are.

My daughter spent a week at Bette Perot for the horse camp about 8 years ago (she was 12)and loved it! She wanted to stay another week and this was in the middle of July with no AC! Bette Perot is the only camp any of my daughters have been at for the week long summer camps. I do know the director at Rocky Point and know that she does a great job there each summer. You might also consider Day Camps if you are not sure about your daughter spending a week away. They are from Mon thru Fri usually lasting from 8:30 to 3:00 each day depending on the camp. They are listed on the Girl Scouts of Northeast Texas website.

Bette Perot is an excellent camp. It is not too far or too close and the facilities are really nice. You could also try Camp Rocky Pointe or Whispering Cedars. Good luck! You will make such great memories, enjoy!

I used to go to Girl Scout camp when I was a little girl. It was called Camp Kachina. I think it was on Lake Belton, but honestly can't remember. I had the most wonderful time! My Mom always let me stay for 2 weeks, which was hard, but it was really good for me. We stayed in tents that were built up on wood slabs about 3 feet off the ground. We washed and hung our clothes on lines to dry. We cleaned latrines (not so much fun) and had mess hall duty, we had color guard duty. We had the option to spend time with horses and play tennis or swim. I chose to learn how to barrell race where some other girls chose to learn how to properly saddle up the horses or groom them. It was great and I still have trinkets that I bought at the little "trading post". I actually just searched on the internet and it is still going strong. Looks like it is run by the Girl Scouts of Central Texas. Hope this helps. By the way I am 32 so, it has been around a while.

I highly recommend Girl Scout camps especially Bette Perot. My daughter is in the 8th grade and has been attending Bette Perot since 3rd grade. She now is a Tejas Rider and works the camp with the horses. The staff @ the camp is extremely helpful with the kids. Even first time campers will love the experience with the horses and swimming.

My daughter went there about 5 years ago, did the horse camp and loved it. Bette Perot is the camp my troop likes to go to because of the horses. It all depends on what camp your daughter is interested in attending.

My daughter (13) went last year to Bette Perot and had a great time. She went for one of the horse camps. We have had other girls, ages 10 to 12, from our troop attend summer camps there also. One of those girls is now a Tejas Rider. Everyone has come back saying it was alot of fun. The girls have to walk everywhere at camp, to eat, to the horse barn, etc. My daughter didn't care for all the walking but the counselors were great! Everything will come back from camp covered in "red dirt" and smelly but fun was had by all.

Bette Perot is a great facility and the camps are lots of fun. My older daughter has been several times and my youngest is going for her first time this year.

1 / 3