Gift Ideas for 16 Year Old Boy

I have a teenage stepson and I always run out of ideas when it comes to Christmas. Gift cards are obvious. His interests are few. Things I've given him in the past sit unopened and unused. Any ideas? I'm at the point of letting his dad handle gifts for him.

Ask his friends what they want as gifts. Also, ask him straight out for suggestions. He is old enough to have an opinion, get that gifts do cost money, and to understand the sentiment is to show you care.

I have a 15 year old boy - I now go with cash, money on his pre-paid debit card, or flat out ask him what he wants. He will give me a list of a few things and then I pick and buy it for him - at least this way there is a small element of surprise.

Talk to your step-son - he probably does know a few things that he would like.

It does get harder to buy for them when they get older. :(

Sign him up for a class at the gym , gas card, cooking class, music lesson, money, start a fund for a special trip when he graduates. Oh yes, and teen boys always seem to need socks for some reason. Underarmor clothes are also a favorite.

involve him in the process...sit at the computer & look together. Work with him & build a community btwn the two of you.

Open the doors btwn you & he'll be more apt to function within the family!

Does he like a local sports team? maybe tickets to a game, or a jersey or something? Would him and friends go bowling ot to the movies, gc to that? Does he like golf? gc for driving range

My stepson is a clothes horse and never has any gas in the car. So, anything Polo and a gas gift card is where I usually start for him. I know his favorite color and sports teams, so that's usually a good place to start. He doesn't do video games, but a lot of guys do.
One thing I did that really helped me with buying for him was I took him shopping for his dad. I asked him to help me pick something for dad and then I just watched him closely. He picked up and admired a lot of things I never would've expected. I got to know him better that trip and I've known him for 15 yrs! We had lunch together and laughed and talked. Just the 2 of us. I highly recommend that. It's a great relationship builder.

Maybe do just that and sign your name.

Things my SS has liked:

Books
Video games
iTunes
Comics (but get specific titles)
funny or cool tshirts (if he's in to comics, superheros.com I think is the URL for one store with tons of comic-related stuff)

Since I'm not sure what your SS is into, I really don't know what else to suggest. I get my cousin football stuff because he's big into the Giants.

gift card for gas, itunes, fave fast food place, fave clothing store...

when we were teens, my mom hated getting us gifts because we never liked the clothes she picked, etc. so, she would pick little thing we liked, like a candy bar or food thing and wrap a $10 bill around it. that way, we had things to open, but we loved the cash. they didn't have gift cards available like they do now...i wouldn't give your stepson cash unless you're sure he'll spend it appropriately.

1 / 3