Gift Idea: Makeup for a 14 Year Old Girl

I have a family exchange and there are 4! 14 year olds in my exchange so there is no getting around having one or 2 for gifts every christmas. I got the gift for one of them but the other is hard to guess. She is 14, preppy and pretty. Girly girl that is into fashion and makeup. Shes an only child I have 3 toddlers so her mom and stepdad can afford LOTS of high end clothing for her. I can not. So clothes out of the question. My brother (her dad) is in Kuwait this year and doesnt get to talk to her much so he is no help. All he tells me is that she wants lots of Makeup this year. Stepmom and her dont get along so SIL cant tell me much either I am at a loss. SOOO all you moms of fashionable teens out there. Whats the best kind of make up brand, what are the hot colors (shes not goth or emo) is a "kit" in or should I spend the cash on one type of thing IE Lipsticks, or Eyeshadows something like this.

Gift certificate to Sephora make up store in the mall. They have lots of high end wonderful make up. I buy mine at CVS but drool over some of the Sephora stuff.

How much do you want to spend? When my SD turned 13 I had my Mary Kay lady come and give her and a couple of friends a skincare and make-up class and my gift to her was to buy her some good products. I got a cleanser designed for teens, a blemish-fighting toner and gel, a brown eye liner and mascara (she's blond), a mineral foundation, and some glosses. It was really expensive but you could do just a few things.

Makeup is such a personal thing - it doesn't matter what colors are hot, they have to look good with her skin tone and coloring, some brands are irritating, etc. Your SIL really needs to step it up and let you know what brands are in her SD's make-up bag (if she visits or lives there). If she won't do that, stick with nail polish (OPI is a reliable high-end brand, about $8 a bottle at a salon), or universal basics like brown or black eyeliner (or maybe something fun and shimmery), maybe a mix of lip glosses, etc. from brands like smashbox or Clinique. I would buy something that if unopened can be returned locally in case it's the totally wrong thing and include a gift receipt. Good luck - it's a great idea but kind of hard to do!

Do you have a Seophora near you? What is your budget?

My daughter is quite the fashionista. She enjoys makeup as well.

First and foremost, when girls are about 11, they need to get into a good skin care routine. My daughter and I faithfully use Clinique and we use Clinique makeup.

I got my 14 yr old niece a little kit at Sephora that was small and looked like the logo Sephora bag... It was $15 and had a few eye shadows, lip gloss and blush. I also got this lip gloss that had about 8 colors and it was in 1 pencil type tube that you can separate and use the color you like... it was $15. I also got her some PINK from Victoria's Secret lotion and body spray and some bronzer from Victoria's Secret.

Sephora has great stuff. Other ideas are compact mirrors for their purse, brushes for blush, powder, etc... brush sets... These can get pricey but you can find something reasonable. A small cosmetic bag with some goodies.

Many department store cosmetic counters have sets with assorted eye shadows, blushes, lip glosses. Even Kohl's has a cute set that looks pretty nice.

My 16 yr old loves PINK fragrances from Victoria's Secret and the blue Hollister lotion and body spray.

Also Bath and Body has a lot of good stuff for girls, along with lotions, body creams, sprays, they have those super comfy soft socks.

If you don't know her "style" and she is a girly girl, a small kit might have a variety of things she can use. I don't know as far as hot colors... I see a lot of brown tones, darker shades of blue and violet, great long lashes, and bronw/black eyeliner.

I'd accidentally not be able to buy make up for the 14 year old. Woops. I'd snoop around about some INTERESTS she might have she could READ or LEARN about...and get her a cool art book....(why do I get the premonition that my daughters are going to hate me at that age).....but if she only likes make up, then. um. Target coupon I guess. cringe.

We always get our neice (who is 15) iTunes gift cards. There isn't a teenager alive who wouldn't like that.

I second the Sephora idea. You could even get her a gift card to Sephora so she can choose something she likes. If you want to give her something to unwrap, head there yourself and check it out - there is an almost mind-boggling array of beautiful and fun stuff to choose from. I've always found the ladies at Sephora to be very helpful with gift ideas, as well. They can point you in the right direction as to what's selling for younger teenagers at the moment.

Instead of makeup, get her Bobbi Brown's make up book. It shows how to apply for natural, day, evening, formal, how to match foundation, ect. All the things a 14 yo needs to know before going out looking like an orange clown!

I also have a 14 year old daughter who would like make-up. I called my aunt to ask her about make-up. My aunt has three daughters and they love Bare Minerals make-up. There is a store in the mall by them and she took her girls in. They did a complete look on all of her girls and showed them how to apply the make-up so it looked nice. They also asked the girls what type of look they wanted. When they were finished, the employees wrote down all of the make-up they used so they could buy it if they wanted. My aunt said they aren't pushy and are very helpful. They bought a few things and now my aunt has the make-up lists so she can by more for birthdays or Christmas. She has also went in for herself. Maybe you could get her a make-up bag or case with a gift certificate so she can pick out the make-up. I am thinking of getting my daughter a gift certificate so we can go in during the Holiday.

I know Sephora also does make-up. They will only do part of your face at a time, like the eyes. We have a Sephora in our JC Penney. You could probably go into one of these places and they could help you with colors if you told them her hair and eye color.

What about accessories? My daughter likes jewelry, scarves, or things for her hair. She is always doing something different with her hair. Scarves can dress up a simple long sleeve tee.

My daughter also loves perfume, sprays, or lotions. She likes Bath and Body Works sprays.

Good luck, hopefully, they are appreciative of whatever you give them!

LOVE the make up brush idea - but the kicker is they need to be good. I like Stilla brand they have fun cosmetic kits.
Also, maybe a monogrammed makeup kit or train case for her accessories:) (think Vera Bradley, Jon Hart - i don't t hink the caboodles will fly with this girl 0 LOL)
I got my neices an excellent three piece Ralph Lauren travel case/makeup kit at TJMaxx - they LOVED them. Two years and I still see them using them to cart their stuff.

1 / 3