Gift Idea for Child Having Surgery

I wanted to find out if anyone has a good idea for a gift for a 5-1/2 year old girl that is having surgery. It is not a serious surgery, though she will be going under general anesthesia (so in that way, all surgery has risks), but the recovery time will be about a week.

The little girl is my niece and lives locally, so we can deliver any gift idea in person. I'd love an idea for anything we could give her before surgery to make her feel less anxious as well as any ideas for gifts that would help her during the week thereafter.

Thanks in advance for any input.

One Step Ahead has a good book about a 1st experience in a hospital. Try Barnes & Noble about hospital books.

Get her a teddy bear or a doll with a "hurt" like hers...complete with a bandage around it or whatever she has.

How about a Cookie Bouquet?? That would especially be fun for her after her surgery, I'm sure she'd enjoy eating those cutely decorated cookies!

Good luck to her!

-Char

Hey L.! I had surgery when I was 7. I had a stuffed Minnie Mouse that my parents gave me, and the nurses dressed her up like a nurse and let me take her into the OR. I'm not sure if they will let her take a stuffed animal with her, but maybe a stuffed animal will help take her mind off of everything. It really helped me, and I didn't feel so alone. Also my father's employees gave me a HUGE (It may not have been quiet that big, but remember I was 7 so everything seemed larger than now :).) bouquet of balloons. I really thought that was cool. I have also sent balloons to my nieces and nephews, and they seemed to enjoy getting them. I hope this helps! I know it's way more information that you wanted, but just wanted to give you the reasons why I said these things.

My mom bought my daughter a sticker book when she had surgery. It keep her occupied when she was in bed all day.

You could give her a nice tote bag with her name on it that has some "recovery" goodies inside. Fill it with snacks, books, stickers, coloring books, etc.

Hi L.! I have my own online business and one of my most popular items are my I Spy Bags. I have actually sold them to a couple of people who were giving them to children who were needing surgery. They're a fun little game that she can easily hold in her hands, and they're quiet too! They're made out of fleece with a vinyl window on the front. On the inside are about 40 + treasures that the child has to find within the beads. There is a list sewn onto the back of what to search for. They're fun and educational, and actually very relaxing. I can even put the letters of her name in the bag to personalize it just for her, and it makes a fun search!
Anyway, you can check them out here, you can also check out the positive feedback that I have received from other happy customers!
http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5007915&section_...

If you're intested, let me know, and I'll give you a discount.

I would buy a pretty bag (something that she can use after the surgery) and stuff it with things that she can use during her time at the hospital and during recovery at home. Some ideas:
Pretty booties for her feet since hospitals are always cold
Nail polish for her toes
stickers, coloring book, crayons, markers
a monogrammed hat
Target also has games real cheap. My son really loved getting the little bitty fish pool with a magnetic fishing rod.
I would refrain from buying any sugary stuff since some of the medications make the kids restless/hyper and sugar would make matters worse in this case.

1 / 3