Gift for Visiting a Newly Pregnant Relative

I will be visiting my only nephew and wife who are expecting their first child. They have had a couple of miscarriages and they are currently in their 12th week with their latest. They also just adopted a new puppy. My husband and I are are going to visit them for a few days and I want to give them a gift. I would like to get something for my niece and maybe for the baby, but I am afraid if she miscarries again that might not be appropriate. I know it is still the critical time for her. We live many miles away and I do not see them often so I am not close enough to know what might be appropriate. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you all for all of you responses. This was a first for me and I am so appreciative of all of you responses for help!

I decided to bring a bunch of gifts for the dog and we did some girly stuff too once we arrived and had many talks about the upcoming baby. My sister, her mother in law, sent her a pajama gram for a nursing mother with a matching baby onesy and my niece was so exited. So I think i could have brought a little something for the baby and that would have been all right. She was very excited for the puppy gifts though and that was good too. I think further down the road I may send one of those books mentioned in one of the post. Thanks again for all your help.

Are they having a baby shower, maybe you can buy a gift then? Also, people often give a baby gift when they visit the baby for the 1st time (either in the hospital or at the home after baby comes home from the hospital). Maybe you can wait until you visit with the baby for the first time. I always bring a gift when visiting a baby for the 1st time but never when the women is only 12 weeks pregnant. Maybe just a nice card would be appropriate at this time congratulating her on her pregnancy.

K.,
That is so thoughtful, but I agree with most of the previous posters to hold off on a gift for the baby. My friend recently suffered her 3rd miscarriage. She was the farthest along with the 3rd one and had gone on a huge shopping spree. I was pregnant at the same time, and she sent me everything she bought. She couldn't stand to look at it.
A gift for mom is an excellent idea.

I would get something nice for the pregnant mom eg. gift voucher for massage or facial, nice bath oils, a fragrant plant, soft socks etc.

I probably would wait to get something, specifically, for the baby. Maybe get her something to pamper herself (massage, facial, manicure or pedicure... at a location in her area) or a gift certificate for a restaurant in their area, for the both of them, would be very thoughtful! When she has her baby shower (or the good AUNT...sorry GRAND AUNT... that you will become, can always offer to throw them a baby shower???? I've done that a couple times!) you can bestow that baby with all kinds of fun stuff! If you wanted to get something that would be a nice gesture for the baby, a (non-baby-specific) picture frame or photo album is a nice gesture.

It's a very thoughtful gesture to get something. Have a nice time together.

I had a couple of miscarriages and a few gifts that I got while pregnant that I loved were books. I have one called God Gave Us You and another called Someday. Both are "children's" books. I love them both!

Hi K.!

I think that is sweet that you want to give something to her. Knowing her history I agree that it might be difficult- not really inappropriate though to buy something for the baby just incase it happens again. I would probably just wait until the baby shower for baby gifts!

BUT... what pregnant woman does not want to be pampered! Pedicures, facials, massages, some good books, bon bons, relaxation cds and candles etc. I SOOOOOOOOO wish someone would have done that for me!

Maybe also bring some chew toys for the puppy since he is the newest addition... maybe even some cute puppy clothes! lol

Have a safe and warm trip! Many blessings to you and yours!

Something for mom and puppy would be good, but I just wanted to throw in my two cents about a baby gift. I don't think it's inappropriate. If a miscarriage should happen again, heaven forbid, it would be hard regardless of whether or not she has some baby things to put away. I think a baby gift is sorta like positive thinking...just my thoughts.

Hopefully everyone will be just fine!

I agree with everyone that you should NOT bring a baby present. Even with someone who does not have a history of miscarriages, you usually do not give presents until almost the end of the pregnancy. I like the idea of giving them a gift certificate to a local restaurant so they both can enjoy your gift. Or how about homemade cookies...it's a small gesture but shows that you put the time into thinking about them. Good luck!

Definitely bring the puppy a toy! A pampering treat for mom sounds nice too.

I think you SHOULD bring a gift if you want to. All pregnancies deserve to be celebrated.

But I do like the idea of a gift that is for pampering your niece. I'm sure she is very stressed about this pregnancy and has been stressed up to this point.

1 / 3