Gift for Surgical Patient

My brother is a single dad who lives about 5 hours away from me. His only son is away at college. My brother will be having surgery on March 5 for prostate cancer. I am too far away to be able to go down to help, but I want to send a care package. What kind of thing could I include that might be helpful to him while he recovers, mostly without any assistance? Thanks moms!

Snacks, magazines, write him a note about childhood memories about growing up with him. Maybe a comfy throw
for when he's resting. How about a movie.

J.; hey what about some puzzle books, like word searches, sudoku, or what about maybe even a puzzle to pass the down time, some candy so he can eat it or give to others as they visit, things he can do while sitting, if he has a game system and likes video games, soemthing to go with that, im sure what ever you send he will appreciate, enjoy life D. s

There are alot of companies that deliver meals, hopefully there is one in his area. I know I have done it several times, and everyone has said how nice it was to just go to the freezer and pull out a decent meal that's already made. If you go on-line and type in his city, and different words like personal chef, delivered meals, etc. Best wishes to him on his surgery. Our prayers are with you.

If you have the funds available, you could locate a personal chef in your brother's area and have some meals prepared for him. I did this for my sister when she had her first child and she loved it.

Recently we had a child hospitalized long-term. A relative who was unable to help personally called around to find one of those places that can prepare frozen meals, and then placed a phone order and had the owner deliver the meals to me at home! I now have a freezer full of quick-to-prepare meals, often that will feed the family for 2+ dinners. I need to take them out and thaw them and throw them in the oven; but that preparation time is minimal (as long as I'm thinking in advance). It's nice to have something more nutritious than corn dogs! :) She even asked me ahead of time to look at the menu to see if there were any foods that I hated or if we had any food allergies. Hopefully you will receive many other good ideas, but this was one I had never thought of before.

Also (after reading some other responses), there's a company called "Comfort Keepers." http://www.comfortkeepers.com/external/In-Home-Services.html
They do more than just cleaning, and could help shop and prepare meals. I think that you need to have them come a minimum of 3 hrs at a time... After my twins were born, my father paid for them to come out twice a week, and it was great for them to do some light cleaning and laundry and such! (Molly Maid and other cleaning services ONLY clean and do not do other household chores.)

Maybe you could include gift cards to restaurants he likes. You can usually pick up gift cards for national chains like Applebee's and Olive Garden at Kroger or Meijer. That would help so he doesn't have to cook. If it were me recovering from a surgery, I would like someone to come in and just help around the house with chores. Maybe look into possibly getting him some assistance through a home health care agency--this might be covered by his health insurance too since he is rehabilitating from a surgery. Home health care agencies have personnel such as personal companions who may be able to assist with meal preparations, cleaning, keeping him company, and running errands for him.

Hope this helps,

MC

I had a friend who just had surgery and she is getting a cleaning service to go through the house. It was driving her nuts, but she couldn't get the job done. Just an idea.

My first thought was food....Maybe some kind of delivery service? You could mail a care package with pizza coupons for a restaurant that delivers. Also, if he likes movies, you could pay for Netflix for a month for him so he can get his movies right at home without going to the video store. If he reads, he might like a book or magazine to pass the time. Maybe a gift card for a cleaning service since he won't be able to take care of things for awhile.

1 / 3