Gift for Kid Who Has Everything!

My daughter will be 6 next weekend, and my husband and I have no clue what to get her. She really has EVERYTHING! We do a HUGE Christmas, and smaller gifts at birthdays, so we weren't looking to spend a fortune, but I don't know what her. She is into Barbie, Dora, computer games, outside play, etc...basically anything girly. I don't want to waste money, and I don't want junk. Any ideas on what to get the kid who has everything?? (Just to add on...she has been taking dance for three years (as well as tball, soccer, gymnastics), she and I get manicures and pedicures every two weeks, she has a HUGE tub of art activities and uses it regularly, has a bike, a power wheels, more outdoor water toys than can be counted, a swing set, trampoline, etc...really, EVERYTHING!! HOWEVER< my kids also donate toys every other month to charity and my family hosts an annual Toys for Tots Donation Party for kids to learn about donating to others who are in need...)

Wow! I got some really good advice and ideas :). I don't want anyone to think my kids are spoiled, because if you have 3 kids so close in age, you almost can't avoid having everything...and they went from not much when they were younger to more now just because of time and we are in a better financial spot. But I think we will offer my daughter a pick of places on our family reunion trip to New Orleans, and then give her something small to open (in the $40-$50 range) because that way she at least gets to open a gift. We can maybe opt towards games or something that she can do with her friends at her sleepover party. Thanks again for the great avice!

Do you have Nintendo DS and the Nintendo WII? I know kids love both. The DS is cheaper and can be taken on trips.

My daughter still tells me of her favorite gift of all time. It was a box of ALL KINDS OF PAPER! I included index cards, stationery, construction paper, xerox paper, lined paper, you name it--the box was full. She is 30 years old now and still talks about the wonderful array of colorful papers and even the smell of it! Perhaps this will work for you? J. W

Don't get her anything.... take her somwhere cool, like on a vacation, bring the whole family or do it with just you two. A movie and dinner or bowling, throw a cool party. She will remember that than any present you give her. I remember all the fun cool birthdays my mom threw me but I don't even remember whatever presents I got. It's the memories that count not "stuff"

Take her to get a Mommy-Daughter manicure-pedicure. Afterward let her dress up and have Daddy take her on a date to the movies.

How about instead of a gift, you do something special instead?

Like a trip to DC (Spy Museum is supposed to be cool!), or a day at the beach, or some other activity like that (Kings Dominion, art class).

Books or magazine subscriptions are always appreciated my daughter who just turned 7. Highlights magazine is good but there are a whole bunch now for kids.

Hi R.. I just went through the same thing with my daughters 8th birthday. What we did was we got her a kids video camera and then took her to Kings Dominion with a bunch of friends. We explained to her that the majority of her present was the Kings Dominion Birthday party with all her friends. The video camera only cost $90. Then I got her cute little shorts and a tank top from targets $4 table. We had a blast and she videotapes everything now. It is really cute.

We have learned to do disposable gifts. These are gifts that we know people run out of so they will always need more. Just make sure what kind of interests the children are into. Some ideas are bubble and accessories, fingernail items (polish, stickers, nail files, fancy clippers)make your own beauty kit. Girls always like to dress up so lip glosses or chapsticks or bath items can be put into them. Sidewalk chalk comes in crazy kits now. They also have 3-d chalk. Lastly, gift cards to their favorite place always works (chik fil a, micheals, justice). We buy a little purse and put one into it.

It's nice that your kids donate their toys to those who are in need. It's a nice lesson for them.
She's going to be six and you've already run out of things to buy her? She won't be able to appreciate the smaller things in life if she's overwhelmed with things at such a young age and she'll always expect more and more.Bonding with your daughter is definitely special, but manicures and pedicures for a 5-6 yr. I think is definitely excessive. I know you're asking for gift advice, but maybe you haven't seen things from a different perspective.
Some gift ideas.........
-print out a picture/pictures of your family (artistic ones or funny) and take it to a shop where they'll transfer it onto a t-shirt she can wear.
-create a "girly" mobile with some of her favorite things. You could get a hanger and wrap it with some pipe cleaners and hang trinkets from a string...beads, stars, barbie shoe....
-a musical jewerly box

hope it goes well

1 / 3