Gift for a Smart, Sensitive 5Yo Boy

We're going to a b-day party of a friend's son. He'll be 5. He's smart and sensitive, but I don't really know of his particular interests. Any suggestions for a good gift (something $20 or less, preferably $10 or less). We are partial to books and his parents are also book lovers, but I don' t know what sort of books a 5yo boy might like.... And other suggestions, besides books are welcome.

Thanks for the great suggestions. After thinking about it, and knowing his parents are "minimal toy" parents, we went with 2 of the book recs, which he is already reading & loving (he started reading The Magic Treehouse series; we bought the first 4 in one book set, and his dad says he loves it).

Thanks again!

Legos (Ninjago are in right now) or Playmobile. You can get cute stuff for about $20.

A REALLY good book is called Library Lion. My daughter loves it and it has won several medals. I highly recommend it. He's the perfect age for it.

A small Lego set. Kids who play legos are proven to have higher math scores!

Puzzles, Erik Carlisle or Curious George board games or Scrabble for kids.

My 5 y/o loved a large size puzzle he received of the solar system. The opposite side of it was a black and white version of the solar system and it came with crayons so he could color it.

A gift card to a book store are always a great gift--books are expen$ive!

He might like the "Froggy" books, Scooby Doo books or DVDs, Lightening McQueen/Cars books.....

Ooops--NOT books--Scooby Doo movie, Cars playset or rug, Magic 8 Ball, Rubik's Cube, Pick Up Sticks, Slinky.....

He might enjoy something that he can really be creative with, like legos or kinnex. Those are both cheap and can grow with the kid. My son's current favorite book is Leonardo the Terrible Monster by Mo Willems. Good luck!

We have an almost 5 yr old boy. His favorites are:

Trio's
Playmobile (HIGHLY RECOMMEND) can be found at Target
Lego's
Bakugan's
Glow Station (I think it's made by crayola)
Dry Erase Board/Markers - This yields hours of fun - and great for when you shop, have appointments, etc.

Any books about Animals, Fish, Space, etc...

Hope you find just what you are looking for!!!

Robert Munsch writes great books for 5 year old boys!

our son is 6 and LOVED "The Fire cat" by Esther Averil

1 / 3