Gift for a 77 Year Old Man

My FIL is 77 years old. My husband and I haven't been given enough ideas for gifts for Xmas and I feel that we didn't get him enough things to open. He has everything he needs and buys what he wants. He doesn't read or have many hobbies. Any ideas out there for a last minute gift? We got a few things but could add a few more since they're not real expensive. He spends so much on our children we don't want to look cheap we just need more ideas. Help!

His wife passed away due to breast cancer 2 years ago. I don't think he'd be interested in other women. My dad suggested a 22 year old woman and that hurt my feelings a bit since he was such a devoted husband and lost her suddenly but you did not know. We've got him slippers already and got him long underwear and thought about the jammies. Sometimes he's fussy so we're not sure. We made him a mouse pad with family pics and got grippers for his shoes since he slipped outside and renewed his magazine subscription. Any more ideas? I can't sleep until I get this figured out. I like the remote caddy idea!

My Mom is 93 and in poor health. She could use some clothes but rarely gets dressed. She only leaves the house for doctor appointments and to get her hair done. She lives in her jammies. I run out of ideas for her. This year I found 2 frozen lobester tails and picked those up for her. I can remember one year I got Knotts Berry Farm syrups for my grandpa for Christmas, boysenberry, strawberry and apricot, he used them for pancakes and as an ice cream topper. He loved them. You could also pick up a nice streak for him to make himself for dinner some night. I know buying food as a gift seems silly but if you get him something he really likes but would rarely buy for himself like seafood, good steak etc is is a nice gift for an elderly person. If he has a DVD player get him a few movies he would like. He's probably into John Wayne type movies and other films made in the 40's - '60's.

homeade sweets like his wife used to bake him. when my grandma died I asked grandad what he wanted that grandma used to make for thanksgiving he smiled big and said 'PUMPKIN PIE' so what about a food basket. men dont generally know how to cook and when they were married the wife didnt work and did all the cooking and cleaning. he probably missed home cooked meals and sweets. my mom had to make my grandad tv dinners after grandma died she did all the cooking and he didnt know how and what do you cook for just one person? think about this. what is the one thing she made special for him every year. he will feel like she is still with him.

Dear D.-

I am up wrapping as I type...

When I saw your question...I was thinking that you should get him a 77 year old woman!! (joke!)

How about some nice comfy fleece sleep pants and a robe? Slippers? My dad ,now gone :( ...always seemed chilly at night. Have seen loads of them...all different colours and themes...

Just a thought
Happy christmas
Michele/cat

One of my great grandpas loved peanut brittle so for christmas he would get enough to last the year. I like the homebaked goods idea. You could make a coupon book that includes him coming over for dinner, you cleaning his house etc. Crossword puzzles or word searches were always floating around my great grandparents houses. My grandpa is 70 something and renavating his house so gift cards to Home Depot are always on his list.
I also like the donation to breast cancer in his (or his wife's name). You could also do a breast cancer walk with him (or for him), they have all lengths from a mile or two to 60 miles.
I hope you get an idea that strikes your fancy I know how hard it is to buy for the older people in your life.

Most older adults I know do not look at a pile of gifts as 'wow, they love me' but with the dread of 'where am I going to put all this stuff'. Try instead a donation to the breat cancer foundation. We dance around the subject of death, but he might want to know that someone so important to his life is not forgotten.

Comfy Pajamas ... I am sorry but I LOVE nothing more that COMFY Jammies on xmas morning with some slippers to go with! Ohhh i can feel the warmth right now.

What about a weather station. We did that two years ago for all the grandmas and our grandpa and everyone really seemed to like it. We bought the kind with larger numbers to make them easier to see. Many of them still talk about how handy they are...they have the time, the current weather and the predicted forecast.

Another popular gift was a lap table. We got one like this. http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=11734138 One relative used it for working on bills comfortably, another used it for reading (she complained books were heavy to hold), and another used it for letter writing.

We are giving insulated grocery bags as part of our Christmas this year. Our grandmothers live farther out and it will come in handy because they will be able to make more stops when they head out for a shopping trip.

If you decide to do the blankets, I would suggest having the kids help make one of those no sew blankets. They are really easy to do...my five year old and I made one for his teacher in less than 45 minutes. I think that making something when you can is always a nice touch. And having the kids help will mean more to everyone. Google it, there are directions and videos all over the web.

HTH!
Merry Christmas

My grandfather loves sitting in his chair and watching tv, and doing crosswords. How about a tv remote boat thing. He can put in all his tv guides, and pens, pencils, even room for a drink etc.
Or maybe a nice throw blanket he can use while sitting in his chair, you can get his name embroidered on it too.

Or a sweatshirt that says favorite grandpa, or something to do with his hobbies.

1 / 3