Gift Basket for First Time Mom in Hospital

When I had my 4 year old, my mom and a few friends put together very nice baskets for me, including bath bubbles, salts, books, movies, etc, and gave them to me while I was in labor with my son. It made me so happy and just made the day a little easier. My sister is due to have her first baby on June 12, we are all thinking it will be before then, and we would like to put baskets together for her. I didn't use the books/movies while in labor or the hospital, but I went through all of the bath stuff quickly afterwards :). My sister is not huge on pampering herself, but I want to make sure she gets stuff that will make the day a big deal for her being a new mommy :). We have saloon quality shampoor and conditioner, and a spa neck wrap so far. Any ideas on what else to add in the baskets? Thanks!

Wow! What great ideas :). I ordered some personalized coupons from Vistaprint, we got a gift certificate to get a mani/pedi, What to Expect the First Year, Chicken Soup for the Mother's Soul, salon quality shampoo/conditioner, a little family statue thing, a neck wrap, and a few other things...I think when it is put together it will be amazing and she will be shocked! Oh, we also had people fill out advice cards at her baby shower without her knowing. We are putting those in an album for her with the pictures of who gave the advice and giving that to her as well :). Thanks again!!

I'd be more than happy to donate a gift certificate to my Mary Kay business of a pampering session and $20 in free products. Just let me know!

I was super excited my friends gave me a basket that included things that helped me PHYSICALLY feel better:

Soothies (for sore nipples)
sitz bath (for soaking painful labor-torn muscles, stitches)
Tucks medicated pads
Dermoplast spray (was awesome for spraying stitches) I LOVED HAVING THIS

You might put a gift card in there for a pedicure. IF I knew when I had my children, how relaxing a pedicure can be ...I would have gone straight there from the hospital. Just a thought...maybe a book about raising children and what to expect from a new born, her favorite candy ...cocoa butter for stretch marks ...btw...I think this is a wonderful idea and I have a 3 year old niece and she is just wondermous :)

Is she going to nurse the baby? If so, things like those soothie gel nursing pads are great.

Some comfy pajamas suitable for nursing would be a great gift, often times first time mommies don't think to buy them. Also, what about some of her favorite healthy snack foods, some gourmet trail mix or easy to eat items she can munch on when she is breastfeeding (if she chooses too) and stuck in a chair. Another thoughtful gift could be a necklace with a mom and child symbol of some sort to celebrate motherhood.

I'm also not into a lot of spa products and bathroom pampering items. Don't know what her interests are, but here are some thoughts:
*gift certificate for local food delivery
*funny little book about moms or babies, little kids, etc found at any bookstore. Fun to read and often include funny pictures.
*a bottle of wine for celebration if she drinks alcohol, she may like a glass every once in a while to relax (or those little individual size bottles may be great)
*home-made certificate for an afternoon of babysitting so she can take care of herself, or get out of the house to do whatever she wants

I liked easy reading materials (magazines, humorous short stories) for in the hospital after delivery. I didn't have a long attention span so regular books weren't so great for me. One caution - you aren't supposed to take a bubble bath for a while after a vaginal delivery (it can cause a nasty infection). A nice robe is also a good thing, or slipper socks. I found the hospital really cold when I had my July baby. If you really wanted to go all out, see if you can find someone to visit her at home, or maybe even in the hospital (if that's possible) for a pedicure, a massage, acupuncture or energy treatment.

Soothies (for sore nipples)
Tucks medicated pads

add a few coupons -- free babysitting when requested., free house cleaning, laundry.

Add items that she can use when she wants to.

I use to have a list of items I would leave on the kitchen table when company came over to see the baby (now 7) and the company would help with the household chores.

Please give her a notebook that she can take to the hospital and have all the guests sign their names and then she can also do a daily journal for the baby.

Hope she has an easy labor!!!

Enjoy
F.

1 / 3