Getting Wax Out of Baby's Ears

My DS will be 8 months old on Saturday. A few weeks ago he had a double ear infection. Since that time, I have noticed a good amount of wax in his ears. I know you aren't supposed to use q-tips, but how in the world do I get the wax out of his ears? Any suggestions are appreciated.

my daughter is 2 1/2 and i have used qtips on her since she was born i don't stick it all the way in just enough to get out the yucky stuff when she was a new born i did use those qtips that have a thicker cotton tip on them which you may prefer to use as they may be a little safer....but her doctor always complements me on how clean her ears and my daughter likes it she will actually ask me to clean them...i try to clean them once a week! Good luck!

Try a warm towel, wax melts, let it drain out, or a heating pad. Better to let it come out naturally.

Whatever you do...don't use the qtips for excessive wax...did that...NO NO!!!!! it caused it to farther and farther down. Ask your childs dr to clean out his ears the next time you go to him or her. They have this little tool that will pull it all out and they can see a whole lot better in their ear than you can. Also you can get that stuff over the counter that loosens it up. Good luck...I know i hate the wax in the ear!

I think the pediatrician can take the wax out of the ear. They use a syringe and flush it out.

I know you shouldn't put anything in the ear, but they have those baby q-tips to clean the outside of the ear (near the opening, but not in it), but it's designed so that it won't fit into the actul ear canal. I use these on my son because he gets wax build up also, but I'm still cautious when putting the baby q-tip near his ears.

Do you have an ear-nose-throat doctor? Can you call and ask them? Mine used to tell me don't put anything in your ear canal smaller than your elbow!

actually you are not suppose to use q-tips inside of their ears as this can cause an ear infection and possibly damage to their ear drum.

You need to use a warm washcloth and wipe the outside portion of their ear to wipe off any excess dirt / gunk. Excessive ear wax will normally work itself out of the ear.

If the wax is a greenish / yellowish type color you should probably call your pedi.

My 2-year-old has had the same problem since he was a baby. I put him in a warm bath then use a soft baby washcloth to wipe out the outside part and whatever I can reach. Don't put a qtip in there for all the reasons people already mentioned, plus I did it once and my son got the idea that it felt good to put things inside his ear. It was a hard habit to break, luckily he didnt hurt himself and has since forgotten about it. Good luck!

They make q-tips for babies. They are designed so you can't put the q-tip in too far. Be sure not to clean it out too much....some wax is needed.

1 / 3