Getting Thyroid Tested Without Insurance?

Does anyone know how much it costs or if it's possible for me to get my thyroid tested at a lab without a prescription or insurance? I'm wondering if it's possible to go to a Labcorp or a Quest or something to get it done and then fax it to my doctor so I can get more refills on my meds?

Check your area for health fairs and things like that. I live in a smaller community, and our hospital has these about once every 1-2 months where anyone can go get bloodwork done (including TSH) for pretty cheap (like $25). I'm not sure if you have to have a doctor's request, BUT you could call and see.

Does your county health department offer lab services? If so, you could maybe go there for your test (I'm assuming you just need TSH levels tested).

Probably a few hundred dollars. Lab work is REALLY expensive. Before you get it done, talk to the company and ask them what their policy is for people without insurance. Most companies will charge less once they know that you don't have insurance. You can also ask to be put on a payment plan to help cover the bills.

Most lab tests have to be ordered by your Dr. So call your Dr and tell them you want the tests done and if you can have them done without seeing the Dr first. Maybe they will let you as long as you see the dr after to get the results instead of just getting some meds. The Drs have to protect themselves by not handing out the meds without seeing the person. I know it costs money, time,& energy,to see the Dr too, but they might really have good reason to need to look you in the eye, ears, throat and so on. Dont take your health for granted. Ask, and see what they say.

I recently had blood work done without insurance, thyroid included. It cost me the doctor visit $63, plus the lab $228. So, almost $300.

My guess is between $100 and $200, however you will have to have a prescription from your doctor no matter where you go to have it done.

You will need a prescription for lab testing, but you can "shop" for pricing. I recently had a patient who has to pay out of pocket because of no insurance, so I called around to several labs and asked the prices. Quite a difference in how much they charge for tests and also the fee for drawing the blood varies. Some will give a discount if paid in cash instead of making payments. By doing this, I saved him about $35. I also found it interesting that when he had insurance, his co-pay cost as much as the lab fees cost without insurance. In his particular instance, LabCorp was his "preferred" for insurance and they were the most expensive of the one's I checked. You would need to know what particular tests are being run to ask price for each individual test. You can't just call up and ask "how much is a thyroid test"?, as there are specific tests for thyroid function. Do not try to self diagnose, go to your dr. for check up, then he can order the tests, however his/her office may have a "lab preference".

1 / 3