10 answers

Getting Smoky Smell Out of Home and Microwave

Hello all moms! - Have a question hopefully someone can help me with! : )
Cooked a hotpocket in the microwave a little too long and smoke came pouring out. - Now, even after several days and trying many different things, the smell still lingers in the house and the microwave. Any ideas of how to get rid of the smoke smell in either/both of them? - Thanks in advance for your helpful suggestions.

What can I do next?

So What Happened?™

Thank you to all the moms for the many great ideas! - The smell in the house is almost gone! : ) Now, I just need to be patient with the microwave - tried the vinegar and the lemon - and will continue to use them until that awful smell is gone! - Thanks again everyone! :)

More Answers

Hi E.,
As for the micro, try putting a bowl of water, with a few lemons cut into sections into the micro and then heat up for a few minutes. I do this when there is baked-on grime, to loosen for cleaning but it also smells quite good!

For the house...maybe try some OUST spray. Air it out as much as possible. That one might have gotten into the fibers of things, so perhaps try some Febreeze on curtains, etc...

Good luck!

I incinerated a potatoe in our microwave a few weeks ago and every time I ran the microwave after that it smelled horrible. What I did was put vinegar in a glass measuring cup and "cooked" it in the microwave until it was boiling hoping the steam from the vinegar would seep into the vents. It helped a little but basically you just have to wait it out, eventually the smell goes away on its own.


Take some fresh coffee grounds(right out of the can) and fill a paper cup 1/4 -1/2 full and leave on your counter. Put in whatever rooms need it. The coffee draws out the smell. I used it in my basement for musty smells and also in a closed up motorhome.

You can sit a cup in the microwave but do not heat it.

Good Luck

Try putting a bowl of baking soda in there for a couple of days.

I have burned so many things in the microwave it's not even funny! I heat some white vinegar in the microwave to help with the smell (and leave the cup in there at all times when I'm not using the microwave). It helps a little, but you do sort-of just have to wait it out. As far as the house- try to air it out and I always burn lots of candles to help "mask" the smell. Again, you do have to wait a while for the smell to go away completely. Good luck!

I was melting chocolate chips and walked away. Big mistake! Needless to say I had smoke billowing out of the microwave and ashes for chocolate! I wiped out the oven, but the smokey smell was horrendous. After looking on line, I decided to use baking soda on a plate, cut up apples and orange peels. I set it in the microwave and the smell started to dissipate within the hour. I left it over night. The smell is still there, but not near as bad. I suggest the cut up apple, seems to work the best, it pulls the smell out as the apple turned black right away! Good luck!

I would try cleaning your microwave with vinegar.Or you could boil it, whichever you prefer. I know it will smell, but this smell will disappear a lot quicker than the burnt smell. If necessary, I would then leave a box of baking soda open over night.

I turned lunch in to charcoal once, too. I put a Pyrex measuring cup filled with water and a few lemon slices and boiled it in the microwave. I had to do it several times, but it finally got the smell out. Doing it stove top also helped the house, but I also had to open the windows for several hours for 2 or 3 days. Putting a little vanilla and cinnamon in water and simmering it on the stove helps, too.

I have used a glass measuring cup wth about 1 1/2 cups of water and about 2 slices of lemon wedges and 2 slices of orange wedges and boiled them for about 6-7 minutes. It made the house smell like a citrus salad lol...But no more smoky smell

Put some coffee (dry from the can) on a plate and warm it up in the microwave. Also, boiling vinegar really gets smells out (but it in itself smells kind of gross). Also, Lemon water, or cinnamon water - boil in micro and on stove.
My dog was skunked last year and these thing s really helped to get the smell GONE. Good luck!

Required Fields

Our records show that we already have a Mamapedia or Mamasource account created for you under the email address you entered.

Please enter your Mamapedia or Mamasource password to continue signing in.

Required Fields

, you’re almost done...

Since this is the first time you are logging in to Mamapedia with Facebook Connect, please provide the following information so you can participate in the Mamapedia community.

As a member, you’ll receive optional email newsletters and community updates sent to you from Mamapedia, and your email address will never be shared with third parties.

By clicking "Continue to Mamapedia", I agree to the Mamapedia Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.