Getting Rid of That Pee Smell!!!

I still have 2 bed wetters, 9 years and 10 years... does anyone know how to get ride of that pee smell in the sheets and blankets... oh yeah and in their pajama clothes too :( I'm feeling like I need to buy all new linens and pajamas... because of their age the urine is much stronger than when they were younger..ARGH!!!

PS: Both are currently seeing a doc about this but I still have to deal with the bed wetting as it happens - which is about 2-3 nights a week together - so at least it's not everyday :(

Thanks for all the suggestions - I have been using Tide Sport - which I love because it has the same ingredients as Dreft which i swore by when my kids were younger. I had been using the vinager but after the clothes came out of the dryer i stilled smelled a leftover pee scent. I did 2 loads today and the following seems to have worked: 1 cap full of tide sport - 1 cup of nature miracle - 2 scoops of oxy cleaner... hopefully this keeps working! I have 4 sons and their clothes always have that "dirty kid" smell, so I am going to use this on their regular clothes too and see how it works :)

My son's clothes would smell. I started adding about a cup of white vinegar to the wash. Totally got rid of it. Now I add it to the loads of towels and all of the loads of bedding. The freshness lasts longer--and there is no vinegar smell left over. I have not had to soak the clothes to get the smell out. I buy white vinegar by the gallon and it only costs about $1.50 to $2.50 depending on if there is a sale. And brand does not matter so you can go cheap.

Vinegar!!! Works wonders. One cup in the rise cycle. Or you can do a presoak with it as well.

I used to have a cleaning service years ago and I liked to use a product called Odo-Ban. I bought it at Sam's Club or at Lowe's by the gallon for about $10.00 but you can also get it in smaller spray bottles too at Wal-Mart. It is concentrated so you only need a little. When I became a Massage Therapist I used it to wash my equipment and linnens as it is a non-toxic disenfectant too. I have used this stuff to get even smoke smell, rancid oil odor and cat urine odor out of everything from clothes to walls. The bottle has a list of uses including laundry. I believe it is eucalyptus base product, it smells nice and it deodorizes and disenfects. For a childs clothes I would use it in the wash with your soap, soak for about 15 min then wash on normal cycle and select the extra rinse cycle.

Nature's Miracle.

It's made for pet urine, but works wonders for regular urine too.
You can get it at Target, PetSmart, etc...

For the bed while it is wet dump baking soda on the spot, and alow it to soak up all the urine then vaccuum it up.

I also herd ammonia cancels out the urine smell, so maybe a little bit of ammonia in the was then do a second cycle as normal to wash that out, but I am sorry my kids were not heavy bed wetters.

I am sorry.

I've heard soaking in white vinegar gets urine smell out of anything. A lot of people use vinegar for cloth diapers.

Do they wear anything like Good Nights? That would help. Obviously you can't punish them or it could get worse, but get them in on the clean up. And have you talked to their doctor? That's really late for frequent bed wetting.

I use cloth diapers and wipes. I run an extra rinse cycle with a 1/2 cup of vinegar and that usually helps with smells. Also, hanging them out to dry can help.

I put my stinky stuff in the washer on the pre-soak cycle with detergent; 1/2 to 1 cup of white vinegar (I just pour a bunch in); and, because I hate the smell of vinegar, I also add 6 or 7 drops of wintergreen essential oil. Then, after the soak/prewash cycle, I wash everything as normal. I stopped using bleach because of concerns about such a strong chemical. I've had no odor problems since I started using the vinegar, and our clothes don't smell like vinegar either. Good luck!

1 / 3