Getting Rid of Smoke Smell in Mattress

Hey smart mama's! Ok so here is the deal. I used to have a queen bed then we moved and that mattress got destroyed. Yeah fun for me. So my brother gave me his old mattress. Which I'm so lucky, but he smokes and it smells like it. Is there anyway to get the smoke smell out? My room now smells like it and I share a room with my baby (I still unfortunately live with my parents so no room for baby to have his own) and I don't want him around it. Once I start getting child support I am going to get a new mattress so I just need a temporary fix.

I was just reading an article the other day about getting stains out of a mattress: http://www.diylife.com/2010/04/30/the-daily-fix-remove-ma... . They suggest sprinkling baking soda on it, leave it on overnight, and vacuum it up in the morning. The tar in the smoke makes it really hard to get the smell out, but we got it out of a hand-me-down-crib by using vinegar (also suggested in the article. Fresh air definitely helps too.

Hello
Although you most likely will not be able to eliminate te smoke smell entirely from your matrees, you can try a product called "OdorBan". It is sold at Home Depot and Lowes. There is a eucalyptus (sp??) scented one that might at least give you some temporary relief. Good luck!

We had a similar situation with a couch a few years back. We cleaned it up and sprayed Lysol on every surface. Then we let it sit out in the sunshine (and wind) for 24-36 hours or so. It worked pretty well.

Spray the mattress with Febreeze and also try airing out the mattress by propping it up in front of an open window on a dry day. Let one side sit in front of the open window for at least a few hours then turn it around to the other side and let it do the same for a few hours. Then spray with more Febreeze. Before you use it you may want to sprinkle it with baking soda then cover it with a mattress protector. The baking soda also helps remove odors.

A day and a window with a breeze works best. If the room has more than one window just open all the windows while propping the mattress up to one of the windows so the breeze can blow on and around the mattress.

Hope this helps. Febreeze is a fabulous product. Get at least two bottles if you have a Queen mattress.

Sunshine and fresh air will make it go away. (Sun on both sides.)

Yes, tons of ventilation ! Smoke smells are hard to get out.

an ozone machine. Its what they use in hotels when a smoker smokes in a non-smoking room to make the smell come out. It works really well. Just look up ozone machine rental in your area and you should be able to find something. They really do work great. I am not a fan of febreeze. Even though it says it eliminates odours, I find it overpowering and hard on little airways, I don't reccomend that option. Good luck and you are lucky to have the support of your family.

So sorry.......that smell just does not come out completely! I would suggest the next really nice day, hopefully a windy day. Air it out for a few days if you can. Then spray away with frebreez !!!! Lysol!!! then cover it wth a rubber sheet....both sides if you can. So two rubber sheets.

1 / 3