Getting Rid of Hard Water Rings in Toilets

Hi Mommas,

My new house has very hard water, and a crazy looking water softening system. I have tried several cleaners to get the rings out of the toilet, but it's just not working. Anyone have any magic tips on how to get these annoying little rings out of there?

HI A., I asked this same question back in May when we rented a house that had nasty dark streaks in each toilet and the owner said she couldn't get them out. Well, all the responses that say pumice stone or sand paper or what I used was the simple copper wire scrubber in the kitchen section of the grocery store that sells the sponges, etc. I think you get 2 of them for a buck or two! and I just used comet and scrubbed and my bowls are WHITE! Good luck to you!

I have used wet/dry sandpaper- Seems to be the best solution. The higher the number, the finer the grit= more rubbing, less scratching. Lower numbers mean heavier grit= less rubbing with more scratches.

I've found that Bartender's Best Friend works great on many stains and mineral build up and it is fairly inexpensive. If you want to avoid chemicals try a pumice stone and rub gently to remove the stain without scratching the porcelain.

drain the water out of your toilet (turn off water and flush). heat distilled white vinegar to a boil. pour into toilet and scrub with FINE sandpaper, alternating. then finish with borax. this will DEFINITLY work. i was very excited when someone shared this with me and the results were amazing!!! Happy cleaning

the janitors at thehospital where i work use pumice stones to get the hard stains out. i tired it and it works wonders. i only used it for some ugly stains arund the water level that i couldnt get off and havent had to do it since

You may have to use a pumice stone.

My husband found a pumice stone that is specifically for those kinds of stains in your toilet...but using it depends on your level to tolerate ickiness...I have a thing about toilets so I never did it. Basically it looks like a pumice you might use on your foot (but it's not the same!) and you scrub the inside of the toilet with it. I could never stick my hand in the toilet (yes, I make my husband do all the toilet cleaning!) but he said it does take a little bit of elbow grease to get it all gone. I think you can pick them up at the hardware store. Good luck!!

Use pumice from any hardware store.

There is this thing called a toilet brick, it looks like a large pumice stone with a sponge on one side and the stone on the other. It is the ONLY thing I could find that would remove the ring. I found it at wal-mart. It takes some elbow grease but works great, and it did not damage the toilet. Still ring free like 3 years later. No chemicals. :o)

You need to get a pumice stone to remove the hard water ring in the toliet. Be sure to rub it gently against the ring after you have flushed the toliet to make the area wet so it will not scratch your toliet finish. This will need to be redone perodically due to the minerals in our water. I cleaned houses for many years and this is the most effecient way to remove the ring. Good luck. It will take a little elbow grease!

1 / 3