Getting Rid of an Old Mattress

Hey guys- My husband and I just bought a new mattress thru Costco and although they deliver, they do not take your old mattress away. We've called the LZ waste management and they do not pick it up due to size. We originally wanted to give it away to the Cancer Fed or Purple Heart, but none of them pick up mattresses either (for the same reason). Do any of you know what to do with an old mattress? We need to get rid of it soon, but like I said, I would much rather give it away than throw it away (it's not in super bad shape...definitely usable by someone for sure). Any suggestions or help would be much appreciated!

I would put it on cragslist.com they have a section for free stuff or maybe you could get $20 for it. Good Luck!

I would suggest joining a freecycle group on Yahoo. Post it on there and it will be gone in no time.

Go to Yahoo Groups and look up Freecycle. You can post it and then pick someone who responds. They'll stop by whenever you arrange it and pick it up. I've gotten rid of tons of stuff that way.

Funny...I just went through the same thing not even a couple of weeks ago : ) We found that in our area (Southeast Wisconsin) there was a Salvation Army ph# 800-808-7730. You could try calling that # or if there is one in your area to see what the procedure is. I also discovered that Goodwill will take beds, but you have to deliver it to them. You could try the Donation Hotline 888-353-6400 to see what they say. Plus if you donate and get a receipt, I heard you could write it off on your taxes :) Also many churches have people that need beds from time to time, you could try calling a local church as well. Hope this helps :)

I did not read all 53 responses to your request.

But, you can post on a yahoo group called "freecycle" and you will most likely get a hit for this. You can also list free items on www.craigslist.com and may get someone to get it that way as well.

If you need help getting to "freecycle" contact me at my other email address and we can arrange a time for me to walk you through how to get on line there.

Hi N.,

You might check to see if there is a freecycle group in your area. They connect people who have things they no longer want or need with people who want them. If someone was interested they wouuld come and pick it up at your home.

For more info, go to:

http://www.freecycle.org/

Best,

Try selling it on www.craigslist.com You can sell it or give it away and they'll come to your home to pick up.

try listing it on www.craigslist.com
or www.freecycle.org

Someone in need will want in, I'm sure. These are sights where you can post things you want to get rid of and people ask to take it from you. You can require that they arrange to pick it up.

Check it out.
Here's to keeping it out of a landfill!!!!

since its in good shape do you have any thrift shops nearby you could donate it to? we have one that runs on donation and the money made goes to local organizations

You can call the Dream Center in Peoria- FAITH Warehouse. My sister-in-law handles furniture donations. They send out guys with a truck to pick up furninture at schedule times- the furniture goes to those that really need it.

Christina Koeppel, Personal Assistant to the Social Service Coordinator
Email: ____@____.com
###-###-#### x301

1 / 3