Getting Pregnant at Age 37 - Goodyear,AZ

I am 37 years old and I just had a miscarriage over the weekend. We weren't planning on having more children but now a part of me wants another one. I'm concerned about pregnancy at this age especially since I'm high risk (I have antibodies against my baby's platelets and need IVIG treatments every week from 5 months to delivery.) I was just wondering if there is anyone out there who had been pregnant and older than 35? How did it go?

,

I am 43 and pregnant now, due in July with my fourth child. Not just one, but ALL of my children have been born when I was older than 35. I had them at 36, 38, 40, and now (God willing everything goes well) at 43. I never had any complications.

My sincere condolences about your miscarriage. I've had 5 miscarriages and know what a heartbreak it is.

Our stories may differ some, but I hope mine will provide you with encouragement in the case you decide to try for another baby. I'm 44 going on 45 this July and have a 3 1/2 year-old boy and 5 1/2 year-old daughter. Both pregnancies, as well as my children, were healthy considering my age. I was obviously "high risk" and was a nervous wreck everytime I went for an ultrasound or blood test (plenty of those each pregnancy!)for the fear of being told something was wrong. My blood pressure was higher than normal once when I went to a specialist for an ultrasound and immediately went back to normal when the doctor's visit turned out to be reassuring. Fortunately, I had always worked out and eaten fairly healthy, didn't smoke, and drank alcholic beverages on occasion but limited myself to no more than 1 to 2 drinks each time. Thank goodness I was a light-weight and never cared for hang-overs. I did drink plenty of water (I typically don't drink as much as I should) and my husband made me these awesome nutritional smoothies during both pregnancies. No history with down syndrome in my family so that gave me peace of mind. I didn't experience any medical complications such as gestational diabetes, but maybe two or three days of edema...the swelling of my feet and ankles during the summer. I tired easily but forced myself to take regular walks with my husband and daughter in stroller. I was able to work up until three days before I delivered my first, then I became a SAHM. I will admit that it seemed to have taken a toll on my body and didn't bounce back that quickly especially after having my second child. It's taken me a while to get into the groove of feeling healthy again...just seem to be tired more than before.

Best of luck to you and your family!!! Keep us posted.

I am so sorry for your loss. You should take time to grieve the loss and take a few months to think about whether you want another for sure or not. I have never suffered a miscarriage, but know several people who have and you really need to give yourself some time right now and just allow yourself to heal from the loss and be with the 4 children you do have and help them get through this as well.

I had my second baby at 37 years old and had no problems. I was healthy and hope to have 1 more sometime before I hit 42. I am now 39 years old. Stay healthy and take care of yourself and your wonderful children you do have for now and talk to your husband about it when your ready to, if you decide it is really what you do want once the healing process is done.

I had my last baby at 39. Luckily everything went just as well as the other 3 pregnancies.
I am not familiar w/ your condition. It sounds like a huge risk to me. Obviously something went terribly wrong with your last pregnancy.
I would rely on the advice from your OB-GYN.
My girlfried who is 42 also has had several miscarrages in the past 3 yrs. She also has to kids 17 & 16.
She said to me, "Why is God punishing me?"
I said to her, "Maybe he is doing you a favor" (Being that her life could be threatened)
I'm sorry for your loss.
Best of luck to you

I'm so sorry to hear about your miscarriage.

I got pregnant for the first time when I was 36, and my son was born after my birthday when I turned 37.

I am not a small girl (by doctors I'm considered obese) but I had an amazingly easy pregnancy - not even any morning sickness - no high blood pressure, no gestational diabetes, nothing until my 37th week. My fluid level dropped then and I needed to be induced. But, luckily, do to the "advanced maternal age" thing, I was being monitored twice a week for just this problem. So, everything worked out.

I will have to say that my delivery made up for my pregnancy - it was very difficult. Part of that was due to the Pitocin, and part of it was due to the fact that apparently the only part of me that is not plus-sized is my birth canal - my DS literally got stuck and needed to be assisted out with the vacuum. But he's fine, and I'm fine, and especially with the special monitoring they do to anyone over 35 who is pregnant I wouldn't hesitate to get pregnant again if that's what you want to do.

Good luck with your decision and I wish you a healthy pregnancy if you decide to do it.

Hi J.
Your family is in my prayers I am so sorry to hear of your miscarriage, GOD bless you!
I am 38 yrs old and have a 7 month old little girl. I can only tell you that it was hard on my body at my age.... I am not in my 20's anymore.... I had a hard time sleeping and my energy was tapped, I did work all the way up to just 8 days before my due date but she came another 5 days after that.... I was also high risk. I did think about having another baby but for me we made the choice not to. Only you can decide whether or not you want to do it again.
Good luck !!

I had my third baby at 40. I was worried about having a baby at my age especially since I too am considered high risk: age and high blood pressure. I made sure I had the best prenatal care from the beginning, I saw a doctor that specialized in high risk pregnancies and we had all the available testing. Because of the risk factor I had doctors visits more often than a normal pregnancy. I had an ultrasound every month and fetal monitoring twice a week at the end. My pregnancy wasn't without it's complications...my VSI results came back at a 75% chance of having a baby with abnormalities, I had gestational diabetes and my water broke (in public!!!!) at 36 weeks. At 4 weeks early my baby weighed only 5 lbs 15 oz but he was healthy. We now have a wonderful 14 month old son and at 41 we are trying for another. At my age I think I'm a much better mother than I was when my other children were born. Don't let your age discourage you from having a baby. With today's medical advances it can be a very safe and rewarding experience.

I'm so sorry about your miscarriage. I got pregnant unexpectedly (I had an IUD!) last year at 37, and even though it was unplanned, it didn't take long for me to feel very invested and attached. We have a blended family - my step-sons are 13 and 11, and my biological boys are 15, 10, 3&1/2, and 6 mos. I think I was somewhat more uncomfortable with this last pregnancy, but otherwise it really wasn't much different than the previous one. I did have some high blood pressures toward the end, but I had had that previously too. I had my prenatal care and delivered at the Birth Center and they were amazingly supportive. The midwives really helped me throughout, from adjusting to the initial surprise, to the delivery itself. We had a chuckle over "advanced maternal age", since 35 is really such an arbitrary cutoff. I would say if you really want to do it again, being 37 is no reason not to.

Best of luck,

1 / 3