Getting Pregnant Again at Age 40- Any Thoughts?

I am 40 years old and have a wonderful 10 year old son. I got divorced almost 6 years ago and just got married again in May to a terrific man who is 6 years younger than I am. My husband is a great stepfather- patient, kind, - everything a good father should be, and he and my son have a very close relationship.

Recently we have talked about trying to have a baby. My husband put it this way: " W (my son) is a great kid and I love him. But he was kind of a work in progress when I got involved and I would like to be in on this whole thing from the start."

I am totally willing to get pregnant again, but have a few things against me:

1) I am 40 years old
2) I am overweight
3) I have type 2 diabetes.

I have been working with my doctor and steadily and slowly losing weight and getting healthier, but I am still taking glucophage for my diabetes. I've been using a copper (non-hormonal) IUD as birth control for the past 5 years, but it should be no problem to get it taken out and then be 'ready to go'. Normally I am active and most people think I am in my 30s. My period is regular and I don't 'feel' 40, lol.

I would like to know if anyone has any experiences they can share about getting pregnant at my age, BEING pregnant over 40 or with diabetes?
PLEASE- NO HORROR STORIES OR NEGATIVE STATISTICS!
I am well aware of them and have an appointment with my doctor next month to look into my 'female' parts and make sure everything is still in working order and talk about risks.

I mostly want to know other people's personal experiences or those of friends and loved ones. Thanks in advance, Mamas!

I wish you luck! I tried to have a baby with my second husband and couldn't! Oh and I mean that only in the most positive of ways. What a wonderful gift that would be!

We've decided no babies after age 35 due to health risks for mom/baby. Honestly, my friends who had babies after 40 had problems. But we'd adopt in a heartbeat! Maybe you could adopt.

I have a friend that had her first at 47 and her second at 49. She had medical issues, so did embryo adoption (IVF), but had great pregnancies and deliveries. After her second via c-section, she was ready to go skiing after 2 weeks, I think her husband talked her into waiting 3. I want to bounce back like that when I grow up!! :)

No, she didn't have diabetes, or weight issues, and she did have to do the embryo adoption, but everything worked out for her just fine and she has two beautiful daughters.

Yay you! I say go for it! I am 43, and we would LOVE to be pregnant again. My last baby was born when I was 39, and it was my best pregnancy. I know many women who give birth into their 40s without complications. Yes, it would be great to lose the weight and get control of your diabetes. Congrats on the progress you are making. You might look at South Beach as it is so helpful for your situation. You can lose steadily without too much effort, but you do have to cut out sugar and breads (white flour). Hard at first, but you get used to it once you get past the initial withdrawals. What a wonderful man you found. I pray you announce your pregnancy soon!!

A coworker of mine had two adult children when she got re-married to a man 10yrs her junior. I don't think they were trying to conceive, but she had a successful full-term pregnancy at 48yrs old. She was overweight at that time and also had some large fibroid tumors. There were of course extra tests due to her advanced maternal age, but her son is a perfectly healthy little boy. My advice would be to talk with your doctor about your desire to expand your family and see what should be done to control your diabetes and to help ensure a healthy pregnancy. Best wishes! :)

I think it's great that your husband wants to have a child of his own with you. It will be such a wonderful experience for him! I am not familiar with diabetes and pregnancy, but I will say that I know MANY, MANY over-40 moms who did just fine. Good luck!

If you don't feel 40 then why not give it a try...I would say to wait until you see your doctor to find out what, if anything, you are up against. I had my daughter at 38 and am now 40. We've been trying for #2 for about a year and a half...we've done IVF twice and are getting ready for a frozen transfer. My husband (6 yrs younger than me too) and I are SO in LOVE with our daughter that we aren't willing to give up on more. We had no problem getting pregnant the first time...very frustrating but I guess I never realized how difficult this could be...you take it for granted until you have issues.

My mom had her first at 38, second at 40 and me at 42...I am so thankful she kept trying and didn't think she was too old to be a mom. She did more and was more active with us than many of my friends whose mom's were 10-15 years younger.

Good luck!! If you're ready as a couple/family...you would be blessed to have another child.

I think it's awesome. My mom had my little brother at the age of 42~~ he is 10 and i am 33!! I love it. If you decide to have another baby, just be concerned about your health first. But, if you decide to try again....good luck!!!!

1 / 3