Getting Pee Smell Out of Sneakers

Hi there,

Hopefully someone out there knows one of those secrets of cleaning that no one ever told me. :)

My 2.5-year-old is toilet training right now. Yesterday one of his accidents at school went all over his shoes. His teachers, understandable, threw them in a plastic bag and sent them home. (My husband, less understandably, left them in the plastic bag after getting home.) I set them out to dry overnight, but this morning they smell terrible!

How can i get the smell out??

Just a little background on the shoes: with this little guy, everything is a struggle, including (especially?) buying new shoes. We just got these sneakers, and he LOVES them. Finances are tight, so for multiple reasons, getting another pair of shoes is not an option. They must be cleaned.

Thank you all so much for your help!!

-S.

Thank you all for the great, practical advice! I washed them that night and air dried and they were fine by morning.
I didn't use vinegar or bleach or wash on warm. We live in an apartment and pay by the load, so I just threw 'em in with everything else.
I was afraid to put them in the dryer, so put them on top while it was running for warmth.
Thanks again!

Toss them in the washing machine. I have thrown every pair of shoes my son (3.5) owns in the machine. I stuff a washcloth in them (to keep their shape) and set them in the sun to dry. Even the lights on them still light up!

Happens to us all the time -- i just throw them in the washing machine. They come out just fine.

I would put them in a pillow case and then put them in the washing machine. You have to wash the urine out.

I always put my kids' shoes in the washing machine. Or you can hand wash in your sink and then put them in the dryer. Or this time of year even sit them on a heat vent and let your furnace do the job.

Toss them in the washer. I have never ruined any shoes by doing that including mine and my husbands.

Set them out to dry. They won't dry in the dryer and make a TON of noise too.

FEBREEZE!!!! It really works!! But I would try and wash them with some method just so they're clean!

I would toss them in the washing machine (or wash them by hand) but be sure to use cold water and either air dry them or toss them in the dryer on "no" heat, otherwise they'll shrink.

My kids' sneakers have been thru the wash and this works every time!

Wash them with vinegar and air dry. That will get the urine smell out.

As a former bedwetter, I can attest to the power of ammonia in the wash. With your baby, you might have to rewash to keep them safe for him.

1 / 3