15 answers

Getting Married ASAP !!

Hi, My friend wants to get married and wants to get married ASAP. Is their a way that she is able to get married as soon as a month or so through the court? Any kind of info would be nice. Thanks !!

What can I do next?

Featured Answers

Just wanted to let you know that in the state of Florida a notary public can marry you. If you have any friends that are of this occupations they could do it tomorrow. (as long as they get a marriage liscence.)

More Answers

Yes...I am a minister and I can marry them...All they need to do is go to the Town hall and get a marriage license. Here are the laws for Florida...

Requirements may vary as each county in Florida could have their own requirements.

Residency Requirement:
You do not have to be a resident of Florida.

ID Requirement:
Florida requires that you have picture ID such as a driver's license and your Social Security card or a valid passport number or I-94 card. You may be asked for a certified copy of your birth certificate.
Previous Marriages: If you have been previously married, the date of your divorce or date of your spouse's death must be supplied. If the divorce or spouse's death occurred within the past 30 days, a certified copy of the divorce decree or death certificate is required.
Waiting Period: There is no waiting period for Florida residents have both completed a state sanctioned marriage preparation course within the last 12 months. There is a three-day waiting period for Florida residents who have not taken the course.
Fees: $93.50. Many locales do accept credit cards now, but be sure to check with the local county clerk to make sure.
Couples who have completed a state-sanctioned marriage preparation course within the past 12 months are entitled to a discount.

Other Tests: None.
Proxy Marriages: No.
Cousin Marriages: Yes.
Common Law Marriages: No.
Same Sex Marriages: No.

Under 18:
If an individual is under 18 years of age, but older than 16 years of age, a marriage license can be obtained with parental consent. If a parent has sole custody or the other parent is dead, the permission of one parent is sufficient. If a person is under the age of 16, the marriage license has to be issued by a county judge, with or without parental permission. If a minor's parents are both deceased and there is not an appointed guardian, he/she may apply for a marriage license. A minor who has been previously married may also apply for a license. A minor who swears that they have a child or are expecting a baby, can apply for a license if the pregnancy has been verfied by a written statement from a licensed physician. A county court judge may at his/her discretion issue or not issue a license for them to marry.

1 mom found this helpful

i just got married in September. we went to the courthouse on a Tuesday and got married on Saturday. in Hillsborough county once you get the marriage license you only have to wait three days before you can get married. each county may be a little different. if your friend is not in hillsborough county i would suggest having her call the clerk of court in her county and asking them what they need to do. hope this helps!

1 mom found this helpful

http://www.polkcountyclerk.net/departments/county_civil/m... just check this website out and it will answer all the questions that she will have

Hey G.,

My husband and I got married at the Courthouse. We decided last minute to do it before our first child was born (10 days! lol).

You got to the courthouse and apply for the license then need to wait 24 hours and go back and they will do the ceremony. They make you have that waiting period to cool off- lol.

Congratulations to your friend!


I know that you can go to the Veterans Park near the Bay Pines VA which is free. You just have to call and reserve Shelter 5, its beautiful and overlooks the water. They dont do the justice of the peace anymore, its all done by the notary now. I think they charge like 100.00 bucks now.
They have to apply for their marriage liscence and wait like 3-5 days before they can get married, but they need to go to the courthouse asap and get that information.

Hi G.,
We eloped to Reno, NV. No blood tests, no waiting period. Just make an appointment with a "chapel" and they do the rest for you. Best wishes to your friend.

If you want to get married in Florida, you can get married by a Notary - maybe your friend knows a Notary who she would like to perform the ceremony?

D. R.

everyone has said how easy it is to get married, but what i am thinking is.........why so quick?? marriage is a very big step and much harder (and very expensive) to get out of. if they are wanting to marry now- then they should still want to be married in a year or 2. no one married for 50 yrs or better has every said, 'i wish we got married sooner'

Just wanted to let you know that in the state of Florida a notary public can marry you. If you have any friends that are of this occupations they could do it tomorrow. (as long as they get a marriage liscence.)

you can get married 3 days after you get the license.

all you have to do is go to the clerk of the circuit court's office in the county you live in to apply for the license and then you have to wait 3 days (by law - the idea is to help reduce divorce rates).

nothing fancy required. she and her to-be can go back to the clerk's office after the 3 day waiting period and be married right there - they do it all the time.

I know that you have to wait 3 days after you receive the certificate. All you need is a notary to say the words and two witnesses. Some courts will mary you at the court house for a small fee. Call them and see what they say. I am a notary if you dont know anyone let me know.


All they need to do is go to the courthouse and get the license, if they want they can have someone there marry them too. I do believe they charge extra for actually officiating the ceremony.

Where does your friend live? I can officiate the ceremony if they want. I'm a Florida Notary and I can do that.

Let me know, my email is ____@____.com

In Bay minette Alabama their is a court house that she can get the marrage license for like 40 to 60 dollars and et married at a chapel called Angels nest in the same circle and she can get her marrage license in the same day! If their is any ?s You can give me a call at ###-###-####!In escambia county it would be like 150 or so to get married my husband and I got married for less than 80 including gas! We live in Pensacola Fl even if you live in Florida you can still get married in Bay minette alabama and you dont have to wait 3 days it all happnds in one day! Then you can be live happily ever after and you dont need witnesses My little irl was the only one their! Also you can have as many people as you want in the chapel I think it holds up to 150 to 200 people!
K. WIlliamson

First they need a marriage license. In Florida, they must both apply in person for one at the licensing office. In Florida, you must wait three days after you have applied to become married. After that, the court house, notary republics, a minister... Marriage counseling might benefit them prior to tying the knot. Most ministers insist that all couples receive counseling prior to marrying them. Marriage is hard work...it takes dedication on the part of both people to make it last. Patience, giving, putting up with nonsense... Working through the times when you don't feel as "in-love" as you did in the first place. That feeling typically comes back as the love matures. As a friend, the best thing you can do for your friend is make sure she understands the committment she is making. :)

Hi G.,
You would have to go to your local courthouse. Like Kristi B. said as well, I got married at the courthouse in Hillsborough County, Tampa,FL. When you apply for your marriage license there is a 3 day grace period (I guess to make sure you are sure). Just go to the courthouse, every county is different.

When me and my now husband went to the courthouse, we went in not knowing anything. Go online and check to see the fees and if there is a grace period.

Good Luck with your friend.

Hi G.,

If she gets married in the court house then she could. Just go to clerk of courts and they can just show up there. They will need their marriage license, which they can get in a day and then they will need their driver licenses. Me and my husband got married there. I say just show up but maybe you should call first, and they will also need a witness when they go to the courthouse, and the witness could be anyone.It does not have to be someone special. I saw people getting married using a guinee pig as their witness, when me and my husband got married.


Required Fields

Our records show that we already have a Mamapedia or Mamasource account created for you under the email address you entered.

Please enter your Mamapedia or Mamasource password to continue signing in.

Required Fields

, you’re almost done...

Since this is the first time you are logging in to Mamapedia with Facebook Connect, please provide the following information so you can participate in the Mamapedia community.

As a member, you’ll receive optional email newsletters and community updates sent to you from Mamapedia, and your email address will never be shared with third parties.

By clicking "Continue to Mamapedia", I agree to the Mamapedia Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.