Getting Breastfed Baby to Take a Bottle

I am trying to get my 4 month old daughter to take a bottle so my husband and I can go on a date. We have tried several types of bottles and different styles of nipples with no success. My daughter just licks the bottle nipple and moves it around in her mouth. She also seems to gag easily because of the length of the nipples. I have not been able to find any of those really short nipples that Playtex used to make. Any suggestions for helping her figure out how to suck on the bottle so she can be bottle-fed every now and then? Does anyone know if they still make those really short bottle nipples?

my sister in law had the problem that her son wouldn't take the bottle from her because he knew she had the "real thing". So the only way he would take the bottle was if it was someone other than her.

Hope that helps.
G. D.

I recently led a La Leche League meeting about alternatives to bottle-feeding for moms going back to work (or on a date!! what an idea!) A lactation consultant loaned me the 'breast bottle' as an example of something out of the ordinary... One of the breast fed children at the meeting was enthralled with this thing - she walked around with it in her mouth for half the meeting. :)
http://todaysbabies.com/breastbottle_nurser.html
they're a little expensive, but it might be worth it. When you get it, the nipple is closed and you have to clip one, two, or all three holes in the nipple depending on how much flow you want. These bottles really look and feel like the breast, so it might be a good option.

The best thing you can do is as often as you can pump milk and have someone else feed your baby when you are not present. Sometimes the temperature makes a difference. Whomever may care for your child while you try to get away is probably the best person to bond with your baby for feedings. Try having your baby have skin-to-skin contact while the feeding takes place. The "natura-latch" nipples colapse like that of a breast. There are also large nipple bottles you can find on Ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Adiri-Natural-Nurser-3-Stage-Set-...

Some people are told not to give pacifiers and bottles due to "nipple confusion" but I highly recommend always introducing other tactics in case mommy cannot be around. In my situation, noone would even care for my son when I was around for fear of his detachment and lack of bottle feeding. It got easier when some food could be introduced. The best thing is to at least once p/day have your baby use a bottle. I know it's easiest for you to nurse but if noone else is around, try it. I felt guilty and did not have any desire to do that so I never did. It made my life very difficult and my husband resented me for it. (He travelled a lot so he was unable to keep up his end of the bargain of the once p/day feedings.)

GOOD LUCK!

We actually started using preemie nipples until our daughter got used to taking a bottle and then switched to the Playtex "natural latch" nipples. After a while, she would take any type of bottle. Just keep trying and be patient... this is a learning process for you both!

Another alternative is to cup feed. We use one ounce soft medicine cups to offer supplement to newborns. Sit baby on your lap and hold medicine cup over bottom lip. Often they still their tongues out and lap up the milk. You can slowly tip the cup up to offer a bit at a time and baby will swallow the milk. Go slow so you don't choke the baby. As they get older you can offer breast milk with a sippy cup too.

Hope that helps.
G. D.

I had good luck with the playtex vent-air 'natural shape'. With my second child we waited until about 3 months to try the bottle so it was a little difficult, but we had better success when dad gave it to him rather than mom. best of luck

My only suggestion - keep trying, eventually she'll get it. Have you're husband try feeding instead of you (don't even be in the room where she can smell or hear you). I used the Avent bottles which seemed to work well for my daughter and used the number 1 nipple which has the slowest flow.

My daughter did the same thing and it took a few weeks of trying to finally get her to take a bottle. Good luck!

I wish you the best of luck on this!

When my daughter was a baby, she flat out refused a bottle. I even tried the nipples for the bottles that you are referring to and even pumped milk to put in the bottles while I was gone. We tried countless nipples and several different people tried to feeh her, she wouldn't. (I also nursed her until she has a year and a half because she wouldn't take anything else, BUT me).

I left the room, house, etc. No matter how hungry she was, it didn't work. The nurses told me that because I hadn't breast fed her when she was so young, she just may not ever take a bottle.

The best thing I can suggest if you can't get her to bottle feed, is to make sure she has a full tummy before you go and also be back a few minutes before she is due for her next feeding.

R.

1 / 3