Getting Blood Out of Clothes?

My son was attacked by a dog last night and we had a long er visit, but all will be ok. Hopefully he doesn't have a fear of dogs now. He got a few staples and is on antibiotics. My question is me and him were unfornately both wearing new shirts that now have many blood stains on them. Does anyone know any good tricks to getting blood out of clothes? Any advice would be helpful. Thanks in advance!

I soaked my daughter's shirt in a sink of peroxide and water. (about 70/30 mix) overnight and it took it out. Her shirt was yellow. The key is to use COLD water.

Depending on the fabric or color peroxide can help as can soaking in baking soda. If it's white(plain)bleach could work as could color-safe bleach. Best of luck and glad everything is okay.

are the shirts white or colored
test in a small spot if colored if white ok to just use peroxicide it will bubble up the blood then soak in cold water with oxyclean and dish soap i work in a laundry at a hospital we wash alot of blood good luck

Cold water and white vinegar. Soak in vinegar for about 15min, then rinse with cold water.

I'm glad your son is OK!

I have had good luck with oxyclean. You may have to soak & wash more than once. (in cold of course!)

Soak in cool water to remove excess blood from the stain. Spit on the stain. Sounds gross but this really works. Your saliva has the same enzymes as blood and breaks it down. Pour liquid detergent on the stain and rub the fabric and rinse. Repeat the whole process til the stain comes out.

I did not read the other posts, but I have always used a bar of Ivory soap with a scrub brush. Then I throw the item in the washer like regular - cold water and all. This always seems to work well for grass and blood stains, but I use it for lots of other things too.

Glad all is well. I am sorry that your son enountered a dog with an irresponsible owner too!

~C.

Peroxide! u put it on.. it bubbles, put more on and it'll bubble again.. it's awesome! Helps for those times of the month too :) Even gets stuff out of mattresses! Good Luck :)

1 / 3